Eight

"Remember, you have to return the stones to the exact moment you got 'em or you're gonna open a bunch of nasty alternative realities."

Steve nodded as he shut the case. "Don't worry Bruce. Clip all the branches."

"You know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back." Bruce looked over at him. "I miss her, man. "

"Me too."

"You know if you want, I could go with you," Sam said as Steve walked over to where you were standing with him.

"You're a good man, Sam, but this one is on me."

Steve stepped up to you, seeing the plea in your eyes as you reached out and rubbed your fingers along the straps of his uniform. "Why do you have to do this?"

Brushing his knuckles along your cheek, he gave you a soft smile. Speaking quietly, trying to dispel your worries he said, "Princess, the stones have to go back."

You nearly pouted. "I know, it's just—"

"Burce says it will only be a few seconds that pass here."

"But what if—"

He kissed you into silence, pulling back after a moment and pressing his forehead against yours.  "I came back last time, I'll come back this time too."

Steve waited until you moved over to stand next to Sam. He turned to Bucky, who was currently glowering at his feet. Steve hadn't expected Bucky to necessarily happy about you, but so far, he'd been nearly hostile about it. Sighing, he stepped over to him and lowered his voice. "Buck."

Bucky looked up; his icy blue eyes sullen. "What?"

"I need you to do something for me," Steve said.

His face and his tone softened. "What?"

"If something does happen to me, I want you to take care of her for me." Steve tilted his head in your direction.

"What?" Bucky scoffed, his eyes rolling and arm crossing. "Why?"

Steve walked him further away from where you were and said, "Because, she's my mate and I want to make sure she's going to be okay if something happens to me."

"I'm sure she'll be just fine."

"Bucky. You're the one I trust with this."

He jerked his shoulder irritably and shoved his hands into his pockets. "Fine, whatever."

Your light laughter pulled his attention back into your direction. He didn't know what Sam had just said to you, but it had you blushing and giggling. When he looked back at Bucky it was to find him glaring in your direction. Patting a hand on Bucky's shoulder he said, "You know, if you got to know her, I think you'd find that the two of you have a lot in common."

"I think I'm good. I'm still being forced to deal with the result of the last time you foisted someone you liked on me." Bucky nodded towards Sam.

"What's wrong with Sam?"

"Oh, nothing, he's just—annoying."

They were getting off topic, so Steve let it go. "Right, well, don't do anything stupid until I get back."

Bucky looked at him, eyes unreadable for a moment before he finally finished it. "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you."

Steve stepped forward and hugged him before stepping back. He glanced at you a final time as he stepped up onto the platform.

"You ready Cap?" Steve nodded, bending down to pick up Mjolnir and adjusting his grip on the case with the stones. Bruce flicked several switches on his control panel. "All right, we'll meet you back here, okay?"