Shaking my head in disbelief, my mouth dropped to argue but my throat wouldn't have it.

"Melody, sweetie. I promise. You'll thank me later for making you go."

"Mom," tears were forming in my eyes again. "I really... don't wan..." I swiped a thumb under my eye at the fresh tears. I sniffled. "...want to go." I could feel my chest hiccupping over and over as the tears kept coming. Just the thought of seeing Jake at the dance had my limbs trembling.

She took in a deep breath as if contemplating my plea before letting it out while patting my back as I brought my crying under control. Tilting her head to the side, her lids blinked slowly as her lips gently tugged into a half smile. "I won't force you if you don't want to. But, you will have to face him sometime. Even if it's in class. Seeing him tonight can help you be better prepared for school Monday."

With that, she bent for the cup and lifted it offering it in a silent question if I wanted it. I shook my head no.

Standing, her bare feet padded across the floor until she reached the door turning to look back at me. "I'll be ready to go in about an hour. If you want to join me, I'll wait for you. Okay?"

I nodded.

"Okay," she said before closing the door behind her leaving me to my racing thoughts.

After showering, my eyes felt better as they were nowhere near as puffy as when I woke. I wanted desperately to remove my contacts, but there was no way in H E double L I was going to torture myself jabbing my fingers into my sore eyes. I just as might as well throw salt and add a touch of lemon on them and rub, rub, rub if that was the case.

Mom was sitting in the living room watching one of her recorded shows she was addicted to. Something to do with two brothers hunting down spirits and demons and stuff. I never understood her infatuation for it. But then I never took the time to watch it either. The thought of how easily I got addicted to Maxi's game told me I would probably find myself in a comatose state unmoving from the couch during a weeklong crazy marathon.

Mom stood and tapped the remote power button before placing it on the table.

"You ready?" she asked as she took a step toward the door.

"As I'll ever be, I guess," I responded under my breath.

"Come on," she encouraged. "It will be fun, I promise."

I let out a disbelieving snort. Shopping was nowhere near fun! Dress shopping even worse.

Mom pulled her car into a parking lot in downtown L.A. I followed her numbly until she reached for a door and pulled the heavy brass handle toward us. Herbal essences of every possible kind sailed across my nostrils. Immediately, my muscles took on a relaxed feel as I crossed over the threshold into a Zen like room with waterfalls trickling down the walls and Tibetan singing bowl sounds rippling through the air. Instantly, my spine vibrated to the tune of Om. As my mother moved toward the counter, a woman dressed in, I could only guess to be holistic attire, met her and gestured for us to follow her.

Walking through a long stone corridor with candles flickering from ledges notched out of the walls, we finally came to a door where the lady opened it and offered for me to go in. Eyes wide, I looked at my mom in question.

"Facial and massage," she beamed. "Happy birthday, sweetie. It's not every day a girl turns eighteen."

  My lip hitched into a smile as I couldn't help but think this was my yacht. Reaching over, I pulled my mom into a hug as she patted my back before pulling back saying, "Shoo. Enjoy. I'll see you in the steam room." She smiled excitedly as she waved walking down the corridor.