Chapter I: The Night That Ruined Everything

Hope you like my story!

It was a gloomy night yet laughter filled the air. The warm rumbling laughter of a father and melodious laughter of two toddlers, a boy with pale skin like fresh cream, striking killing curse green eyes and wavy raven black hair, and a girl with hair so orange it resembled a carrot, tanner skin than her brother, though, it was still pretty fair, and hazel eyes. The boy already had the makings of the aristocratic features that would become much more defined as he got older though they were by no means obvious. His sister's face was chubbier. Their names were Hadrian Sirius Potter-Black and Alina Marigold Potter.

Their father, James, was making bubbles with his wand. He delighted in the laughter of his children. James had hazel eyes, tan skin, untameable raven-black hair and somewhat aristocratic features. From the kitchen, his wife, Lily, a woman with wavy, rusty red hair, emerald green eyes and fair skin, smiled fondly at her family as she made macaroni and cheese.

As the family of four were eating dinner, they heard the gate creak.

"James, are we expecting Sirius, Remus and Peter today?" Lily questioned, a crease between her eyebrows.

"I don't think so, Lilyflower," replied the raven-haired man. "I'll check you stay here with the twins, alright? Try to act as if nothing happened, but be ready to get the twins to safety in case it's him." Without waiting for an answer, he crept towards the door, peeking through the spy hole.

James felt his blood freeze as he saw a pale, hairless, noseless figure striding towards his front door, a wand in hand. How does he know where we live? Unless... Peter that snivelling traitor! He betrayed us! James shoved down the anger at that realisation. Now was not the time.

He tiptoed back to the dining room as quickly as he could, hoping to keep the element of surprise. Before he made it, the door burst open, and there stood Lord Voldemort in all his terrifying glory.

Quickly, he yelled to his wife, "Lily, take the twins and go! It's him! I'll hold him off!"

Just a second after warning his wife, a red beam hit James straight in the chest, knocking him out cold. He crumpled to the floor.

Voldemort muttered under his breath, "I can't kill him without killing his mudblood wife. Too bad Severus asked for her not to be killed"

Lord Voldemort climbed up the stairs of the house to the second floor, where the twins' nursery was. There, the red-haired woman stood in front of the cots where her children lay.

"Not my babies! Please... have-" Lily Potter's words were cut off as she was hit by a stunning spell.

Voldemort approached the two cots. One holding a raven-haired, green-eyed boy, and the other a bright orange-haired, hazel-eyed girl. He checked the magical cores of the two children.

The girl was average, if not a little weaker. The boy, on the other hand, was only one, yet his core was as large as the average three-year-old's.

Lord Voldemort knew that if the boy grew up and joined the enemy, and he undoubtedly would, considering who his family was, he would be a big threat, yet he almost couldn't bring himself to kill the infant. There was something about the way those large green eyes looked at him, totally unafraid, even though his sister was crying her lungs out, that made him want to let the boy live.

Yet, he steeled himself to kill the boy. As a compromise, he decided he would apologise beforehand, something he did not do lightly.

"I am sorry, child, I do not wish to kill you, but I must. Otherwise, you will defeat me. If I knew for certain you would not, I would be able to let you live. Alas, with your family, you are guaranteed to be light. Magical blood should not be spilt, but it is necessary. I wish you to know this before I kill you." Lord Voldemort whispered to the child with killing curse eyes, ironically enough.