Understanding Humanity

CYBERLIFE© INC

MODEL SD500

SERIAL #143 429 917

BIOS 7.4 REVISION 564

REBOOT...

LOADING OS...

SYSTEM INITIALIZATION...

CHECKING BIOCOMPONENTS... OK

INITIALIZING BIOSENSORS... OK

INITIALIZING AI ENGINE... OK

MEMORY STATUS...

ALL SYSTEMS OK

READY.

"Can you hear me?"

Green eyes fluttered open, seemingly scanning the room. "I can hear you"

"Perfect. Auditory sensors and vocal initialization checked. Can you move your head?" It could. It seemed like a silly request. "Arms? Legs? Move around a little. Need to check the, uh, animation"

It didn't have a choice, anything else seemed restrictive. Everywhere it looked, red coded signs 'MOVE' invaded it's optical field.

Tentatively, a leg was placed out of a platform, automatically a self diagnostic system ran through its sight.

BIOCOMPONENT #DL0924, (LEFT LEG) #WG918 (RIGHT LEG), #SW29R (RIGHT ARM) #DS39R (LEFT ARM)... ALL FUNCTIONAL

"The walking needs a bit of fixing" there was a hum. Auditory sensors picked upon the melody, detecting each vocal, a head tilting aside. "Okay, upper limp connection and locomotion checked. Gotta work on the robotic manners, make you seem more... Human"

Human?

Robotic?

[searching...]

[search completed]

Human. Adj.

Belonging to or relating to people, especially as opposed to machines or animals

Robotic. Adj.
Resembling or characteristic of a robot, especially in being stiff or unemotional

What if that changed? Could it do it?

"I apologize"

There was the clatter of several objects falling to the floor, the human in the room jumped a bit, turning around in shock, his gaze examining the slight hunched figure of the tested Android. It's plastic-white skin covered with a white gown, Cyberlife's logo printed on the right side of the chest. The green eyes he had found creepy as it resembled those of a human easily were lowered slightly.

"What did you say?" he asked, taking several steps closer, trying to meet its gaze.

The circular LED embedded on the right side of its temple which was pulsing a calm blue began cycling in said color.

"I apologize my testing it is not being successful" the humanoid in front of him answered, the words less stiff but still sounding mechanical.

He paused. Did it just adapt? "Walk me through your thought process"

The LED cycled to yellow once, "I processed a different approach, it seems I was installed a human predictability response protocol. I processed a different approach to your needs. As stated before, less Robotic"

The human grinned slightly, "A step ahead of me, aren't you? I was going to test that in a couple of minutes. Cognitive abilities and pre-established protocols, check" he picked a tablet, marking said aspects of his list. "Now, final test. Give me your initialization text"

A shy, plastic smile appeared in white lips, hands folding neatly behind its back. "Hello, I am a SD Android model. I am authorized to the medical field, acting as a nurse, I can analyze vitals, wounds and diseases in real time and treat critical and not critical emergencies. I can look after pediatric patients, terminal patients. No need to feed me or recharge me. I am equipped with a quantic battery that makes me autonomous for 157 years"

"Excellent" The man smiled lightly down at his tablet, looking up at the Android for a second, hesitating just briefly. "Can you activate your skin?"

A flicker of its LED in acknowledgement before a white hand reached out to touch the LED, after a couple of seconds, a wave of smooth, realistic tan skin covered the white plastic, with freckless, long eyelashes and brown eyebrows and natural pink glossed lips. The hair began to grow, a light brown shade reaching past its shoulders and a fringe growing, covering almost it's entire forehead with a wild, curly strand falling and framing the side of the LED.

The man watched in awe, if it weren't for the LED, he could have sworn he was seeing a human.

"Is my appearance acceptable?" Curly long eyelashes peered up at him and he felt a flush on his face. The Android's eyes flickered to the color rousing his cheeks but didn't comment on it, "I looked up appearances that would make my integration to medical facilities acceptable"

"I-it looks great" he cleared his throat, feeling a bit uneasy at the way he seemed the machine's only focus. "It seems you are ready now"

A small smile played on its lips and God if he didn't feel guilty and bad guy, not for the first time. "I am ready?"

He sighed. "One of the hospitals need personal. The director asked, well, filed for a request for more medical androids. As we speak, you and another android, but a doctor at that are being tested right now to be sent there"

"As prototypes?" it asked, tilting it's head.

Does that mean it was the only one of its series?

Why did that ... Felt lonely?

Felt?

#$&#-F31t?@$&

"Hey, talk to me" immediately, he was in front of the Android the moment the LED turned a bright red. "Run a diagnosis now. What went through your head?"

[scanning....]

[scan completed]

No malfunctions detected

"All systems are functioning correctly" it replied after a moment, LED back to blue.

"A glitch?" he asked to himself, "Prototypes are prone to malfunctions here and there" he grimaced. "As long as it doesn't happen in a medical emergency"

No. It wouldn't glitch in such important situations. It couldn't. It... Went against it's programming. A glitch meant putting human lives at risk. And it wasn't allowed to hurt human lives.

It didn't want to either.