The start

"She clutches the shadow of her dog.

He carries his shadow on his back.

His pedestal is broken into pieces that can't be recovered.

She's supposed to be the brightest.

He lost everything because of her.

She never wanted things to turn this way.

All the kids are crying."

I stood in the stadium, my hands quivering as the cold air condition in the auditorium stung against my pale fingers. Brushing them together briefly, letting the warmth spread only slightly, I pressed them back onto the hard, wood podium in front of me. Staring at the 144 students seated in front of me, a smile erupted onto my lips which parted briefly before closing again.

"Thank you."

The crowd erupted in cheers.

I walked off the podium, watching my steps as the high heels of my black leather shoes rattled against the floor.

Funny, I thought. Butterflies tied a knot in my chest before erupting into a million variegated petals and landing in the pit of my stomach. I clutched the imaginary petals, hopefully crushing them as if they were real. The knot in my chest slightly loosened as I watched a purple petal float away before...

Crunch.

I grab it again, holding it tight in my grip.

The petal exploded. The petal exploded into voices and memories that slowly burned and withered under pressure.

I smile and grab the rest of the floating petals. Each in different colors, crushing into memories that float away into the crowd of applauding students. The sight that never seemed to amuse me brought a smile to my lips.

"Oh, it's been so long," I whisper. Grabbing as many broken petals as I can, I try to feel the soft feel tickle my palms before pressing them against my chest.

White light pierces my vision as my head spins and my heart burns.

"I love you."

"You never raised me."

"Where did it go wrong."

"It was all because of her."

"It can only end this way."

"I can't do this anymore."

Voices.

Voices echoed against the walls.

A tear stung my eyes as it raced down my cheek.

All the kids are crying.