Chapter 57: Time's warning

Commander Cody saw his doom fast approaching. In the middle of the bridge, with numerous droids standing on the other side, he and his army were quickly overwhelmed by their superior fire power.

He hadn't had the chance to catch his breath for hours now and still his men were dying one by one. They had been losing the war on the distant planet of Yerbana for some time now, but luckily the Republic had sent them reinforcements. Anakin and Obi Wan themselves would soon join the fight and hopefully turn the tide of the battle. Cody could only hope they would arrive in time.

But now, there was a missile heading straight for him, and he knew there was no way he could get out of its blast radius in time. He flinched backwards, his arms rising to block the blinding light of the fire that was soon to follow. The clone saw his short life flashing before his eyes and regretted the fact that it had only been war he'd endured.

A familiar figure jumped in front of him, used his lightsaber and blasted the missile away before it could've blown him to pieces. For a moment the clone commander could see nothing through the dust, until it cleared slowly and showed the scowling figure of his general with his lightsaber at the ready.

His auburn hair was tousled, strands hanging before his clear blue eyes while his skin was covered in root and dust. "General!" Cody shouted in surprise, his stomach now fluttering with a newfound hope. He momentarily forgot about the blaster shots heading straight for him.

Luckily, the jedi master deflected them with ease. "Cody, get down!" He yelled, exasperated, and quickly ushered the clones around him to the nearest barricade. Blaster shots almost grazed his limbs, the dust creeping into his nose while shouts and screams erupted from all around him.

It was pure chaos. Obi Wan darted behind a huge piece of debris, taking in his surroundings while Cody caught his breath. "Well, I can see things are going splendidly on this front." He sarcastically said.

"It's no good, we can't locate the tactical droid. He's staying out of sight." Cody reported, the frustration seeping into his voice.

Before he could mutter anything else another explosion ripped through the air, almost throwing their bodies to the ground. Both of them quickly shielded their faces with their arms. Another few feet to the side and they could've been blasted to bits.

Obi Wan opened his eyes when the dust had settled, letting his gaze wander over the battlefield. He didn't see a quick solution and his men were dying fast. He couldn't do this on his own for he had no way to lure the tactical droid from his hiding place. He did know who could, though, who always seemed to think of a plan. "Anakin, where are you?" Kenobi muttered, frustrated.

"Will a Valerian queen do too, master jedi?" A familiar voice suddenly sounded in his head. Obi Wan's head perked up, his eyes quickly scanning the skies for his betrothed. He'd send her with Anakin, thinking that his would be the more dangerous battlefield of the two.

The horizon was coloured a deep blue, the sun illuminating the hills of the landscape. He didn't spot the familiar ball of fire as he'd expected. Soon, he couldn't see anything at all, for a darkness had fallen down like a curtain over the entire bridge.

The blaster shots halted with it, confused yelling coming from every side of him. He could even hear the droids shuffling on their metal feet in the distance, equally confused by the sudden darkness they were enveloped with.

To him, that darkness felt familiar. It almost seemed to wrap itself around him in greeting, whispering in his ear. A smile quickly played along his lips, his heart fluttering in relief. The very air smelled of her.

"Always, my darling." He spoke into her mind. Their bond had strengthened to the point that they could easily communicate telepathically from a distance if they were within the same star system. When she was close, he could sense her emotions as if they were his own. It made it that much harder to resist her when they were together. Not that he'd held himself back most of the time they were alone.