The girl gently patted Ozan's arm and smiled as she moved with her hands. Ozan calmed down and responded with his hands as well. Ozan just nodded as the girl pointed to Kanat.

"Is she deaf?" Kanat inquired as he sat on the couch.

"She is." Ozan responded sadly and waited for his sister.

"I first learned about her around three years ago. After hearing how he left not only me, but also on her, I never wanted to meet my father. He abandoned her because she was deaf. My mother's identity still remains a mystery. So I started looking after her when her mother couldn't. My parents are quite fond of her. She pays us frequent visits. My family and I all learnt sign language for her, and my father pays for a very fine deaf school."

Soon later, the girl appeared with a tray with tea and a saucer with sugar, as well as another saucer with lemons on it. She set it on the tiny table next to the couch and began to speak with her hands.

"She said that she didn't know what you liked, so she put everything on the saucers." Ozan translated automatically, as if he was accustomed to speaking in this manner.

"Please tell her thank you."

When she heard the translation, the girl smiled and nodded.

Why are you so drunk? She signed.

I'm not. He objected.

That explains why you were more assertive than normal. She remarked.

You're a jerk.

He gently nudged his sister, who grinned back.

Kanat was taken aback when he noticed them talking with their hands. He'd never seen his best friend so pleased chatting to someone before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since that day, Kanat often met Ozan's sister, Ekim, who introduced herself properly after their second meeting.

They have frequently texted each other since that day, and she has even taught him a little sign language.

To see her smile more often, he learned to use sign language properly. One time he used it wrong, which made her laugh.

He remembered telling her that she was funny but said instead that she was an idiot. At first she confusedly stared at him, but then he wrote down what he wanted to tell her. At the end, his best friend's sister laughed so hard at his words.

"You're going to stay away from my sister." Ozan said as soon as he entered the school's gate. Melisa quickly approached them and tried to calm Ozan down, but strangely, Ozan didn't listen to her. He normally did everything she told him to. Now, he was completely ignoring her.

"Ozan, stop it!" Melisa shouted as she tried to push him away from Kanat.

"This has nothing to do with you, Melisa!" Ozan yelled at the girl, which shocked her. He had never raised his voice at her.

"Ozan!"

This voice was strange because Kanat had never heard it, but Ozan apparently did. A girl joined them, which was none other than his little sister.

You promised to stop. She signed

Ozan raised his hands in surrender and hugged his little sister.

"Who is this deaf loser?" Melisa asked as she crossed her arms.

"That doesn't concern you." Ozan answered coldly and went away with Ekim.