Chapter 7

The library, more than anything, is Wooyoung's favorite place on campus. It might just be his favorite place in the whole world, actually. Maybe it's the books, which he's always been drawn to. Aisle after aisle, shelf after shelf of books. Or maybe it's because no one bothers him in the library.

Everyone's too busy doing their own thing to talk to anyone else. And it's also the only sure fire place that San never, ever goes. Which is why he nearly has a heart attack when he reaches up to grab a book, tugs it off the shelf, and turns to find San behind him. He looks so out of place. He's wearing his jersey today, unsurprisingly, and it's like seeing a lion in the middle of the ocean. It's like seeing a shark in the desert. It doesn't make sense.

"What are you doing here?" Wooyoung demands. San looks uncomfortable, too. He shifts on his feet, crosses his arms over his chest, looks around. Maybe he's afraid of someone seeing him here or something. "I just-" He cuts off, running a hand through his hair. "You need to tell Hongjoong you don't want to go to the party." Wooyoung lets his arm drop to his side, book held precariously in his fingertips. "I wasn't planning on going to the stupid party anyway," he says. "Good," San snaps. "I don't know why he'd even invite you. You wouldn't belong there."

Wooyoung raises his eyebrows, and that comment stings, just a little. But it comes from San so he doesn't let it bother him. "Did you really come all the way in here just to tell me that? How long did it take you to find the library, anyway?" San glares at him for that. "Just text Hongjoong and tell him you don't want to go, but don't tell him I told you to." Wooyoung leans against the shelf. "And what's in it for me?" "What's- You don't even want to go!" San shouts. In the distance, someone shushes him. "You don't even want to go," he repeats, quieter. "So just tell Hongjoong that."

This isn't surprising. San goes from asshole to major asshole the closer he gets to a game. The fact that he went out of his way to come tell Wooyoung not to go to the party probably has more to do with the fact that he needs an outlet for his nerves, and Wooyoung always seems to be it. That doesn't mean that it pisses Wooyoung off any less.

"Maybe I want to go, actually," Wooyoung says. "You know, I think I will." He leans the book on the shelf and pulls out his phone, bringing up Hongjoong's contact. "I'll ask Hongjoong what time I need to be ready-" His phone is tugged out of his fingers without warning. Wooyoung reaches for it, but San holds it behind his back, his stupid eyebrows furrowed together. "Why do you always have to be difficult?" he hisses. "Give me my phone back," Wooyoung says carefully, going from irritated but amused to pissed in seconds. "How many times do I have to tell you not to touch my stuff?" San slowly backs away from him, a grin on his face. He quickly types things out on Wooyoung's phone, while Wooyoung gapes at him. "There," he says. "I told Hongjoong for you. You're welcome." He tosses the phone and Wooyoung scrambles to catch it, and he only just manages.

The thing is, San's an idiot. If he hadn't said anything, if he hadn't gone out of his way to make sure that Wooyoung didn't go, then Wooyoung wouldn't have. He had no intentions of going to that fucking party. He hadn't even told Yunho or Mingi about it because he knew they'd try to persuade him. But there's something about San telling him not to that makes him want to. Which is why he presses Hongjoong's contact and hits talk.

"What are you doing?" San asks, as Wooyoung brings the phone to his ear. "Hey, Hongjoong," he says cheerfully. "I was just-" Fingers wrap around his wrist, slowly pulling his hand down. Wooyoung doesn't even fight San on it, not when he's this close, his eyes clouding Wooyoung's vision. He smells like heavy body spray, that same shit that he cakes on every morning that he actually decides to get out of bed, that gives Wooyoung a headache, most of the time, but right now sort of smells... good. He can hear Hongjoong's voice through the speaker, too quiet to pick up on the words when the phone is lowered to his side. San presses the button to end the call before he kisses Wooyoung.