𝟔 | 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝

Start from the beginning

She takes an almost unnoticeable step back, and my eyes fall to the bandage on her stomach before looking back up at her. "Why do you...?"

"Gunshot," John B says firmly, now walking over to us with JJ by his side.

She was shot? What the hell has happened since the hurricane?

JJ crosses his arms. "You'll never fucking guess—"

"Stop," Sarah demands, her brown eyes piercing through him.

Both of the boys look like they have something to say, but they hold back for Sarah. I watch as John B tries to put on a tough face, but I see a sliver of vulnerability behind his eyes.

"I'm happy you're safe, JB," I manage to say.

To my surprise, one side of his mouth turns into a small smile. As I look at him, I try to picture him shooting Peterkin, but it just doesn't make sense in my head. Is it possible that the story isn't exactly like Rafe thought? I mean, he told me he was on the Druthers all day, so he wasn't even there. What if Ward actually shot Peterkin and just told Rafe it was John B?

"What are you doing here?" JJ asks coldly, pulling me out of my trance. "Not feeling very safe with your boyfriend anymore?"

I guess he overheard me telling Kiara that I felt safer with Rafe than the Pogues. "I just came to get my clothes."

JJ looks like I just slapped him in the face. "Clothes. Huh, okay. Go right ahead," he says as sarcastically as possible.

I pause before walking toward the Chateau.

"JJ," Sarah says with disappointment.

"What? I mean, she's clearly still with your psychotic-ass brother. We don't want anything to do with that."

I close the screen door to ignore their conversation. The familiar smell of John B's house immediately fills up my lungs. It's been too long since I've stepped foot in here.

I search through drawers and look under beds and couches until I find most of my belongings, including the pink shirt for Gen. As I'm sifting through some papers on the counter, I hear the front door burst open.

Within a few seconds, Barry appears in the doorway to the kitchen with a gun in his hand. My fight or flight kicks in, causing me to sprint out onto the porch and into the backyard. As I'm running for my life, I crash into a person standing in the grass. Rafe.

"Rafe!" I panic and grab onto the collar of his shirt to put him between me and the door. "Barry's in there, he has a gun, he—" I dart my head around the backyard trying to find the Pogues, but they've vanished.

"Woah, woah, woah," Rafe says, leading me farther away from the porch. "Why are you here?"

I look up into his red, extremely dilated eyes. "I came to get my clothes, why are you on cocaine right now?" I say, becoming less worried about the threat of Barry and more concerned with Rafe's state of mind.

He opens his mouth to think of an answer, but struggles to find words.

"Why are you here right now?" I flip the question over to him. "I didn't tell you I was coming here."

He stays silent as Barry finally walks out of the door behind him.

I step backward a few times. Sensing my obvious fear, Rafe walks closer to me but holds his hand out to stop Barry from moving. "Go home," he orders firmly, looking right at me.

I keep watchful eyes on Barry. "You have to tell me what you're doing here, Rafe."

Now he holds onto my face, but not gently. "Go back to your car, or however you got here, and go home. I don't want you to be here right now."