XII. They Want You

Start from the beginning

"Vampires have laws?" Elizabeth asked.

"Not very many, and only one that's regularly enforced."

Elizabeth turned to him. "What is it?"

"That we keep the existence of our kind a secret. We don't make spectacles for ourselves, and we don't kill conspicuously. Unless of course you want to die...." He trailed off.

"Don't say that. I never want to imagine someone hurting you." Elizabeth shook her head.

Edward only slightly smiled for a second before he spoke. "Elizabeth, the only thing that can hurt me is you."

Elizabeth looked down to her hand. She watched as a small mist of red psionic energy laced between her fingers.

"No, not like that." He held her hand in his.

Before either of the two could speak again, a high pitched voice spoke up by the staircase. "Edward."

The two turned to reveal Alice waiting with a worried look. Edward nodded leading them back downstairs where they continued their discussion.

Elizabeth watched as Alice rejoined her spot beside Jasper, next to them stood Carlisle and Esme, and Emmet stood behind the couch where Rosalie sat with arms and legs crossed. Elizabeth still held Edward's hand feeling anxious.

"I can presume that the Volturi want something to do with me?" Elizabeth asked.

A few of them exchanged glances before Jasper was the one to speak. "They want you."

Of course, Elizabeth thought

Of course, Elizabeth thought. They'd want to use her power so they can gain more power and reign higher than ever.

"Aro has always been after Alice and myself. He's desperately wanted us to join him. Aro seeks power, to be feared, worshipped." Edward explained.

"You can only imagine his astonishment when he discovered your existence and abilities." Carlisle added.

Elizabeth looked down as she thought, "So what does this mean?" She asked, "Another goose chase after me until I've been caught? And then what?"

"We won't let it come to that." Edward spoke to her.

"I've been able to somewhat keep watch of their decisions, we can prepare ourselves for anything that comes our way." Alice said.

"We will protect you, Elizabeth. You won't have to worry." Esme added.

Jasper nodded along with Emmet and Carlisle. There was a small silence in the room before Rosalie decided to speak.

"Why should we protect her? The witch? For all we know she can be dangerous, after all Aro is so set on finding her." Rosalie stood up, "What reason do I have to protect this witch? And what about Alice's vision? Did we all forget what's to become of her? Her fate?" Rosalie spoke harshly.

"Rose, that's enough." Esme said firmly. Rosalie only left the room in response.

Elizabeth looked down for a moment. She was hurt at her words but also agreed with her. "She is right."

Edward shook his head at her, "Don't listen to Rosalie, I never do."

"But she is right, I don't want you all risking your lives for me it isn't fair." Elizabeth continued.

Carlisle spoke. "Elizabeth there's no need to feel that way, you are with Edward now and we will do what we need in order to keep you safe."

"We consider you apart of this family now." Esme added.

Elizabeth felt surrounded by the Cullen's love. They had only just met the girl, and already would do anything for her. Most of them at least. They knew how much Edward cared for her. How much she meant to him. After all these decades she brought him to life and they saw that. The family never had been more happy for Edward.

Before Elizabeth could bring herself to speak a vibration sound from in her pocket filled the room. Quickly she pulled out her cell phone to reveal messages from her boss asking where she was.

"Everything alright?" Edward asked, rubbing a hand up and down her arm.

Elizabeth sighed, "I completely forgot, I was supposed to be at work thirty minutes ago." She stared at the phone screen as she thought.

Elizabeth began to feel overwhelmed. Not so much the fact she was late to work, but just now realizing what was happening in her life. First she had been gifted with the most unique abelites, only to find out there's mythical creatures that exist such as vampires that now consider her family, but not only that there are ones being sent on hunts to find her and once found be taken to a coven of evil vampire rulers?

She took a few steps back. She placed her phone back in her pocket as she tried focusing on her breathing.

"I can drive you, if you'd like?" Edward offered, furrowing his brows noticing she seemed unwell.

She only shook her head. "Thank you, for everything. I think I need to be alone for a bit."

The Cullen family glanced to Edward as he stood worried watching the emotions going through Elizabeth's face. Edward was about to speak when Elizabeth clenched her fists sending a wave of red psionic energy surrounding her body. After a brief moment the red energy disappeared, and along with it so did Elizabeth.