"And now that that's over, you're having trouble sleeping."

"Where are you going with this, Todoroki-kun?"

It takes a few seconds before he replies, and his answer nearly makes Midoriya drop the sugar jar he's just picked up. "What if I scented you?"

"W-what?"

"Only in a platonic way of course," Todoroki quickly adds on. Midoirya opens his mouth to say something but- nothing comes out. Out of all the things he expected his alpha friend to say, that wasn't one of them.

It had never occurred to Midoriya to scent with anyone other than Bakugou. Even the idea felt wrong and he could already hear his omega protesting it. He pondered the proposal while he finished his tea.

"I figured the scenting had something to do with your lack of sleep lately, was I wrong?"

"No, you were right," Midoriya sighs. He is desperate for sleep. Maybe it would help? "So.. it would only be as friends, right?"

"Yes, I'm not trying to court you. I know social convention frowns on this sort of thing, but if I can help my friend out, I don't see why I shouldn't,".

Midoriya almost wanted to laugh at how matter of fact Todoroki often saw things. It helped ease some of the tension that had spread through him.

"O-okay, if you're sure?"

"I'm sure," Todoroki nods as he holds out his wrist. The rush of anxiety that the gesture gives him almost makes Midoriya back out. His hand shakes as he brings his wrist up to Todoroki's. The initial brush of glands makes him want to cringe. He's staring too hard at the action, eyes locked on the motion. He wants to look away but the idea of staring at Todoroki's face makes him feel even worse. Campfire and marshmallows are sickenly sweet, instead of comforting as they should be. Everything about the scenting feels off and wrong.

It's only a few strokes of the wrist before it's over and it takes everything in Midoriya not to show how uncomfortable he is. "Thank you, Todoroki-kun,".

"You're welcome, Midoriya. I hope it helps," Todoroki is as straight-faced as ever, and Midoriya nods before grabbing his cup of tea and heading back up to his dorm.

~~~

The scenting doesn't help. It actually makes things worse, but he doesn't tell Todoroki that. His friend was only trying to help and he greatly appreciated it. It was nice knowing he had someone who cared that much.

One of the ways it makes things worse is when Bakugou is passing by Midoriya on their way to the lockers and he catches a whiff of Midoriya's scent. Or rather, Todoroki's scent.

Midoriya barely registers that Bakugou has stopped walking until he feels the angry alpha grab his arm. "What the hell?!" Bakugou yells, a confused scowl on his face.

"Kacchan. Let go." Midoriya narrows his eyes, trying to keep his now enraged omega at being manhandled in check. He had somehow slept worse last night due to the scenting. His omega wanted him to scrub himself clean of the scent of his friend, which led to him tossing and turning all night. So, with eyebags rivaling Aizawa and Shinsou's, he really didn't want to deal with a moody Bakugou right now.

"Why the hell do you smell like that Icyhot-bastard?" Bakugou's voice lowers slightly, a growl escaping between his words.

Midoriya growls back and this causes the alpha to raise his brow, grimace faltering. "Why do you care?"

"What?" Bakugou tries to keep the anger in his words but it comes out forced. With everything that's happened between them, Midoirya can count the number of times he's growled at the alpha on one hand.

"I said, why do you care? You're the one that said the scentings didn't mean anything," Ripping his arm from Bakugou's grip, he barely notes that they've gained an audience, but Midoriya is practically blind to them. Can only see the alpha in front of him desperately attempting to keep his emotions in check and failing. "You have no right to ask why I smell like Todoroki. Not anymore."

He starts to walk away, but only gets a few steps before he stops and glances back at Bakugou. His jaw is clenched and his breathing is quickening, chest heaving. The alpha looks lost, angry, confused, and hurt. Which just about stabs Midoriya in the heart. Fist clenched, he adds, "Ya know, if you weren't such a stubborn asshole it could have been your scent, not his,".

With that, he continues to the locker room. Once the rest of the class joins him, he's nearly finished getting ready. No one talks to either him or Bakugou. Though he does hear Kirishima telling Kaminari to leave them alone. He'll have to thank him later. He's honestly surprised that Bakugou hasn't come over to him to continue their argument. Barely glancing over, he sees the stoic-looking alpha focused on putting his hero gear on, eyes contemplative. Letting out a quiet huff, he leaves the room.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••­••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••