My heart breaks for her.

"You should definitely try contacting him."

"You sound just like Helen.

I smile. "We both know what's best for you."

I can practically hear her rolling her eyes from through the phone.

"Not on this occasion."

"Meaning?" I ask.

"Meaning I will not be contacting Liam O'Connor. Some things are better off left in the past."

I don't agree with her at all. When there's hope, there's every reason to get in touch again. She just doesn't see it yet.

"The ladies at the book club have been asking after you," she says, changing the subject.

I decide to go along with it.

"Oh yeah?"

"Hmm. They really want you to come along to the next meeting?"

When is it?

"A week on Wednesday."

I'm off then. "I'll see if I'm free."

She talks for another fifteen minutes about the book they're reading before stating her goodbyes. I'm on nightshift at the hospital and need a shower before heading to bed for a couple of hours. I've been off for a few days and going back after a rest period is hard, regardless, let alone doing so on a bloody nightshift. Just when your body starts to establish a normal routine, it's time to go back, and it all goes to shit.

"I am strong, successful and worthy of love. I am not a reflection of my past."

I repeat my affirmation a few times, pottering around. I gather my shampoo and conditioner and twist the handle on the shower, already anticipating the steaming hot jets on my back. Unfortunately, nothing happens. I try it again, much to my failure. I check the taps on my bath and curse under my breath when only a trickle of water comes out.

"Fuck!"

I immediately grab my phone, figuring it's best to find out if this is a me-problem, or an issue everyone in the building is facing.

Anastasia:

Hey, is your water off?

I hit send and patiently await Freddie's reply. It doesn't come. Instead, there's a knock at my door. Charlotte is in her bouncing chair when I open up, wondering why her father has suddenly decided to suspend her mid-air.

"Water problems?" he asks, smiling.

"Yeah, is yours on?" I ask, opening the door for them.

He positions Charlotte on the floor and places a small giraffe toy in her hands.

"Mine's fine. Looks like it's a problem with your pipes," he informs, hands on hips. "Have you got tools?"

I nod and gesture towards my kitchen. "Under my sink."

I watch him fiddle around for a while, occasionally checking on Charlotte. She kicks her legs in her bouncer and abruptly stops when she loses her giraffe. I quickly put it back in her hands, noticing she likes the noise it makes when you crunch it. I'm still in my pyjamas and contemplate getting changed now that I have guests around. As much as Freddie and I are getting used to each other, I hardly think he appreciates me in unicorn shorts and a shrunken white T-shirt.

"All sorted," he announces, emerging from my kitchen sink.

"Already?"

He smirks.