"I should warn you," begins Freddie, leading us towards the front door. "It's Caroline's daughter's birthday."

"Who's Caroline?" I ask.

"My partner. She was there the day we arrested Josh."

Oh.

I appreciate his warning and offer him a small smile to show I'm unbothered.

"That's okay," I say.

Charlotte yawns, seemingly over our conversation.

"How rude," teases Freddie, tickling her cheek.

I smile and decide to humour him by gently slapping him on the bottom. "She must be fed up listening to us boring adults talk."

"Boring?" he asks, outraged. "I'll have you know I am exceptionally fun!"

"Oh yeah?"

He ruffles his backpack, as though the fact he has one alone if proof enough he's the life and soul of any party.

"Yeah!"

I laugh. "I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but a backpack full of pre-made milk and spare nappies does not make you exceptionally fun!"

He gasps.

"You're boring, Freddie. Face it!"

He smirks. "Well, just you wait until I get you into bed, Anastasia Mason. Then you'll realise how much fun I really am."

Fuck me—that took a turn! One minute I'm joking with him about his new dad-status and the next, I'm gasping for breath.

"When?" I ask, genuinely intrigued.

He presses the button on the elevator.

"Soon," he promises. "Very soon."

****

The party is exactly how I expected it. On the way over here, Freddie explained that Phoebe—the girl whose birthday party it is—is obsessed with everything princess related and just one look at their back garden is proof her obsession has yet to pass. There's a table of tiaras and wands for anyone to take and a bouncy castle in the shape of a princess tower. The colour pink has vomited everywhere, and I swear that's glitter I can see on the grass.

"FREDDIE!" A brunette woman comes bouncing over, all smiles and sweat.

As she gets closer, I realise it's Caroline and prepare myself for the awkward interaction. She has a small child in one arm and a bottle of wine in the other and I have to admire the dedication.

"Thank fuck you're here. These parents are driving me insane."

Freddie laughs. "How come?"

"Did you know Chelsea is having a vegan party next week," she says, putting on a snarly voice. "What five-year-old do you know wants to eat a meatless burger?"

"Chelsea, apparently," I say, smirking.

Caroline smiles.

"You remember Anastasia," states Freddie. "She's my new neighbour. You don't mind me bringing a plus one, do you?"

"Not at all," she insists, grinning. "I'm Caroline. The work wife."

I'm glad she's not drawing attention to the fact we've already met.

"Nice to properly meet you," I smile. "And who's this?"

I gently tickle the little boy's shoulder.

"This is Grayson. Or, as Si and I like to call him—the accident child."