My Dinner Goes Up in Flames

Start from the beginning

"Then who's your dad?"

Her hands tightened around the pier railing. And I got the feeling that Percy was about to get pulverized but luckily for my friend Annabeth seemed to hold back.

"My dad is a professor at West Point," she said. "I haven't seen him since I was very small. He teaches American history."

"He's human." 

"What? You assume it has to be a male god who finds a human female attractive? How sexist is that?"

"Who's you mom, then?"

"Cabin six."

"Meaning?"

Annabeth straightened. "Athena. Goddess of wisdom and battle."

It hadn't really occurred to me who her godly parent was. But as she spoke, I realized just how much it seemed to fit her. Then Percy turned towards me as he asked me.

"What about your father Y/n?"

"F/n L/n." I responded. Speaking dramatically as I continued. "Destroyer of javelins. Master of Magic the Gathering. God of pizza rolls." I said jokingly.

Smiling warmly as I looked back at Percy and Annabeth with stunned questioning looks on, they're faces.

"My dad's human too. Godly blood comes from my mom. Don't ask me who she is because my dad never told me. But for the record he did make god tier pizza rolls."

It was always hard to remember my father or frankly anything from when I was younger, so I tried to hold on to the small things that I had left of him. Early mornings of watching him out in the javelin range. Late nights of playing MTG card games with his old decks. And hundreds of pizza roll dinners. It was nice having a chance to reflect back on him if even for just a moment. But that was quickly ruined as the presence in the back of my head seemed to chuckle again. Another shiver running up my spine as I looked back at Annabeth and Percy. The daughter of Athena still looking at me with that same puzzling expression. But lucky for me Percy quickly called her back.

"What about me?"

"Undetermined like Y/n." Annabeth said, "As I told you before. Nobody knows."

"Except my mother. She knew."

"Maybe not, Percy. Gods don't always reveal their identities."

"My dad would have. He loved her."

Annabeth gave him a cautious look. And she glanced between me and Percy as she wavered slightly.

"Maybe you're right. Maybe he'll send a sign. That's the only way to know for sure: your father has to send you a sign claiming you as his son. Sometimes it happens."

"You mean sometimes it doesn't?"

Annabeth ran her palm along the rail. "The gods are busy. They have a lot of kids, and they don't always . . . Well, sometimes they don't care about us, Percy. They ignore us."

I thought back on to the few things my father had told me. He had taught me a lot about the world and the gods at least from what I could remember of his lessons. But whenever the subject of my godly parent came up, he swiftly changed the subject. There was no way he couldn't have known who she was. Especially if he knew so much about the other gods. So, I could only assume he did it to protect me.

"So, I'm stuck here," I heard Percy say, "That's it? For the rest of my life?"

"It depends," Annabeth said. "Some campers only stay the summer. If you're a child of Aphrodite or Demeter you're probably not a real powerful force. The monsters might ignore you, so you can get by with a few months of training and live in the mortal world the rest of the year."