Chapter 6

⚜~~~~~~~~~~⚜

Chapter 6

Ashter sat near the fire, agnars head in his lap. Uhtred stared, this wasn't the cheeky boy he knew, he could see a change in his eyes.
"What happened?"
"What do you mean Uhtred?"
"I mean, what did they do to you?"
"They burnt me, they beat me, I couldn't use my gifts, I was punished for your killing of Ubba. But I was given freedom to wonder the woods, sihtric made sure of that much." Uhtred pulled out a sword laying it out, presenting it to ashter.
"I saved it for you... Father's sword. Both me and Ragnar thought it should be yours."
"Thank you Uhtred" Ashter walked to his brother, falling down next to him and wrapped his arms around his torso.
"You should rest Ash. Its been a long year."
Ashter fell asleep with his head in Uhtreds lap by the fire, agnar next to him, protecting him.

⚜~~~~~~~~~~⚜

The next day ashter sat with Uhtred while he was speaking to beocca. uhtred began conversation,
"You should stay, Northumberia is your home."
"And Alfred is my king." Both uhtred and beocca took swings of thier ale, while Ashter looked on in Curiosity.
"You will be safe, travelling?... Who will you be riding with?"
"Two men"
"Warriors?"
"Monks", uhtred did not look pleased at this.
"But they will each be carrying a heavy cross. I will be safe..." Uhtred quietly laughed while ashter let out a giggle. "I have these... they are Teeth, belonging to saint Cuthbert. They are a gift for Alfred, and my most holy protection." Ashter was utterly confused by this and so he asked,
"You believe they still bite?"
"No, young lord, I simply believe. Faith is a great comfort."

Beocca looked to uhtred now,
"Promise me you won't do anything stupid."
That caused uhtred to chuckle, "How can I make a promise that I can not keep? Stupid is in my nature"
"Yes it is brother, yes it is" uhtred ruffled ashters hair.
"You must be tired of hearing my lessons, but here's one more: You are guided by your heart, and it is a good heart, I pray it never darkens. The lady, Gisele, like Alfred's daughter, Aethelflaed, has a purpose, a higher purpose than need or want... or even love." Uhtred looked away from beocca, ashters attention now on agnar again.
"I have seen what others have seen, the attraction."
"She has her own mind"
"King Guthred may consider you a friend, but the men close to him do not."
"Well, that is no hardship" Uhtred admitting that sent ashter into a frenzy and uhtred through a bit of bread at his head.
"Uhtred!" Uhtred ignored Ashter and Continued his conversation with beocca.

⚜~~~~~~~~~~⚜

Ashter had strayed from the village with agnar although he would be leaving with everyone soon. He bent the earth to create a clear path and the wind so it would sing through the tree's before hearing the the rumble of hooves. His mind flashed to what uhtred had said before he went into the woods. "Dont stray to far, we will be leaving soon" and ashter being himself had done completely the opposite.
"Shit, Agnar! Come, we must catch up" both he and agnar ran to the mouth of the woods. Ashter hurriedly mounted his horse and they were off following the travel party.

Ashter caught up to them rather quickly catching the end of his brother speech.
"-but more than that, you have my sword!" The army let out another round of cheers while ashter had just caught up, riding next to uhtred.
"And where have you been?" Ashter sighed and slouched on his horse.
"The woods, sorry I may have wondered a bit far. And forgotten to come back. Why would you leave without me brother? Why was no one sent to look?"
Uhtred laughed, "you took agnar with you, she's the only person who ever finds you. I knew you would catch up." They continued to ride.

Camp was made and sihtric had been tied to a wagon. Hild began to walk past, "You, girl!", She ignored him, "woman!" She persisted still, "warrior." It was then she turned.
"I need to go into the woods there. I need to shit." Hild looked bored and continued on.
"I do not wish to fill my breeches"
"Halig, our prisoner requires attention" sihtric was led to the woods and tossed about. Ashter watched from the distance. Halig began "I believe Lord uhtred is hoping you can tell him about kjartan's fortress"
"It is tall", halig chuckled at sihtrics response.
"Tell him that and you're a dead man"
"Then let me speak to him. Or young ashter"
"He will speak to you when he is ready. He is a good man. And I don't think uhtred will let you anywhere near ashter".

Ashter watched as sihtric began to fight, getting up and moveing closer. He watched sihtric bring a swords blade to haligs throat.
"Drop your sword!" halig dropped it.
"You will fetch lord uhtred and young ashter" sihtric commanded of the other man.
"Tell him I have his man"
"Kill me and we are both dead!"
"Now!"
The man ran back to camp calling for uhtred

Uhtred ran over with hild and a spare, no ashter in sight. Although he was watching from the distance with a smile at sihtrics idiocy.
"I could've killed him, lord. Made good my escape."
"Kill him and you will die slowly"
"Told you", halig deadpanned.
Everyone of importance began making thier way over to the cofufful.
"I asked your man to fetch you, lord. And young ashter. I do not murder, I wish to bargain."
"You will not speak to ashter!" Uhtred was very clear on that. Ashter dropped from a tree he had been perched on, uhtred looked both shocked and displeased with ashters presence.
"A life for a life, is it?" Ashter's soft voice rang out.
"My life for my sword. Ashter I never did you wrong. I wish to serve your brother and continue as your protector. I could've killed both but I wish to serve you."
Uhtred didn't let ashter answer, cupping and hand round his mouth and pulling the boy into him so he couldn't speak, "You are kjartans man". Sihtric shook his head, "No. I am kjartans bastard son, whelped on a slave girl. And your are uhtred and ashter ragnarson, and I wish to serve a warrior and a lord, a true lord." Ashter was still struggling against his brothers grip, he would not use his power against family so he would have to wiggle his way out of uhtreds hold instead, similar to how when they were younger. Uhtred answered, "If you believe me to be these things, then put down your sword."

Sihtric looked hesitant until he locked eyes with ashter who nodded, uhtreds hand still over his mouth holding the youngers head against his chest.
"You guarantee my life?"
"Put down your sword." Uhterd moved his hand from ashters mouth still keeping his brother in his grip though.
"Kill him" the priest sneered.
"No!" ashter called he didn't want sihtric dead.
"Sihtric, put down your sword" ashter all but warned him, hands sparking slightly. The priest looked at ashter now, as if the devil himself had made an appearance. Sihtric dropped his sword.

"I can be of use to you lord" sihtric spoke to uhtred. The priest, eadred, opened his mouth again, "He's nothing but a heathen, kill him!". That infuriated ashter and he turned towards the priest, "so am I. Are you going to kill me too?" Uhtred dragged his brother back into him. "No one is going to move"
"Kill him now!"
"I say no one is to move and no one is to speak but me! No one!" Uhtred turned to the priest who now backed down before turning to sihtric.
"What is your name?"
"I am called sihtric, lord. Please... I am not loyal to kjartan and never can be."
"You swear your sword is mine? And to protect my brother?"
Sihtric shifted to grab his pendant, "on Thors hammer, I do lord" sihtric got down on his knee "I swear, I swear it ashter"
"Then you have my protection"
"Lord, thank you. Thank you"
Ashter stormed off, agnar following.
Uhtred turned to the gathered crowd, "Sihtric is with us now. He serves in King Guthred's army."

Eadred turned to king Guthred enraged, "He behaves as if he were king, not to mention that savage brother and his wolf"

⚜~~~~~~~~~~⚜