It'll Be The End Of Me

Penn Castle
Dorset, United Kingdom
Sunday, February 12, 2023
(9:00 pm)
********************

"Be afraid. Be very afraid."

Mick had a devilish grin on his face as he set up his computer to link with the flatscreen TV that was mounted on the living room wall with the help of Tessa and Ruby, who had arrived shortly after Christopher Nicks that afternoon.

"Bad perms aside, I'm actually fine with how I used to look, Mick," Stevie said, marching proudly into the room, dressed in her usual black uniform and holding a bowl of popcorn in one hand and Lindsey's hand in the other. Christine's homemade popcorn from the copper pot with real melted butter from the previous night had been a big hit with everyone, and requests for more had been coming in all day.

"You have nothing to fear, baby girl." Lindsey brought her tiny hand to his lips and kissed it. "Pick a year...1970, 1982, 2004...doesn't matter. You've always been the most beautiful girl in the world."

"Look at you...you have me, sweetheart! Wedding's in less than forty-eight hours!" Stevie giggled and kissed his lips softly. She tasted butter; he'd cheated and started the popcorn without her! "Save the buttering up for Christine's popcorn, Linds!"

"You'll never get it," Lindsey said, shaking his head in mock despair. "You'll never see what I see...my beautiful Stephanie." He kissed her, and they stood still and kissed for a moment until Christine came up behind them with two glasses of red wine in her hands.

"Beep beep!" Christine said, smiling. "Save it for the honeymoon, lovebirds! You're blocking traffic!"

Stevie giggled sheepishly and stole one last little kiss before she led Lindsey by the hand to their spot on the sofa.

The goal of the evening was to look through old photographs of Stevie and Lindsey before they met the group, photographs of John, Christine and Mick back in England in the early days of Fleetwood Mac, photographs of all of them together...and whatever else came up on Mick's hard drive. Lindsey's kids were already curled up with Lily and Luna around the coffee table near where Karen sat, laughing among themselves and joking about their father's old looks. Christine took her place beside John and Molly, Lori sat beside Christopher and her daughter Jessi and opened a juice box for her grandson Roman, who was talking to Little Robin as she shoved Christine's hot buttered popcorn into her mouth with abandon, challenging Roman to a popcorn-eating contest.

It was a family moment of epic proportions and it was not lost on Stevie or on Lindsey, who looked into each other's eyes after scanning the crowd of people they loved and both holding back tears.

"This is the dream, sweetheart," she whispered into his ear before moving in closer to him and reaching into their bowl of popcorn to feed him some. "Look around us...it's amazing." Out of the corner of her eye she saw Robin's son Matthew open two beers and hand one to his wife Amanda, and she exhaled a slightly tearful sigh and added, "Man...Robin should be here."

"I know, baby." Lindsey cradled the back of her head to pull her in closer so he could kiss her forehead. He sighed himself and said, "I was actually thinking the same exact thing about Greg."

"He would have been having a ball here," Stevie said, remembering the silly fun she used to have with Greg Buckingham once upon a time. "Well, Robin and Greg were always fun together...maybe they're actually here." She smiled, taking his hand in hers. She looked down and watched as even their fingers wove together in perfect harmony.

"Ladies and gentlemen...I bring you...Memory Lane!" Mick announced, and the photo display began...

Memory Lane!" Mick announced, and the photo display began