00

"You came along just like a song

And brightened my day"

- Can't smile without you by Sleeping at Last

23 years ago, July 12, 1999.

"Come on love, hurry up, Elena is waiting for us with baby Eden. Don't you wanna meet her?" Anne asked her 3-year-old son who was putting his tiny blue Crocs upstairs. Soon, little feet hitting the hardwood floor were heard throughout the entire house. The 3-year-old's small curls bounced as he walked downstairs, and suddenly someone was standing next to Anne.

"Hi Mumma, I'm ready! Let's go meet Lena and her baby! LET'S GOOOO!!!!" The toddler yelled and jumped in excitement. He had been waiting for a few days to visit Auntie Elena, and he could not wait any longer. Even though he was not an only child, he had a big sister called Gemma, he couldn't help but feel overwhelmed since this was his first time meeting a real-life newborn. He had played plenty of times with Gemma's baby dolls, of course, but Lena's baby was REAL.

In his mind, he could finally give a baby real food and give them actual showers with bubbles and everything. To say it thrilled him to help his mom and aunt with the baby was putting it into short words.

Ever since he had seen Elena with an enormous belly and understood she hadn't eaten too much, but actually had a baby growing inside her, he had felt overflowed with excitement and happiness.

"Okay, okay love. Calm down. I know you are excited, and I am too, but remember that Eden is still a baby, so we have to be very gentle with her and use our inner voices. No screaming, okay?" Anne reminded his child. "Okay, Mumma! I'll be very very careful!" He replied, nodding eagerly. "Okay then, let's go!" She replied.

Soon after, they left their home and went straight to the Di Marco's house. Anne and Elena had been best friends ever since they started kindergarten and then when Elena started dating Lorenzo and Anne started dating Robin in high school, the four became inseparable. So inseparable that even now, in their early thirties, they lived next to each other and were planning on doing so until they were old and wrinkly.

After a short walk, they reached the DiMarco's front door, where a "welcome" mat with a cute flower design rested on the floor. Anne rang the doorbell and a few seconds later, someone opened the door.

"Look who we have here! Queen Anne and baby Harry!" Lorenzo said as soon as he saw them. "I not a baby, Lo, I big boy now, I this many!" Harry quickly replied, holding up three chubby fingers to show Lorenzo he was three. "I know, I know, sorry H. Now, please come in! Someone is really eager to meet you!" He told Harry with a little smirk on his face.

The three of them entered the house. It was filled with many plants and flowers, pots dangling off the ceiling, scented candles everywhere, pictures of everyone they loved hanging on the walls, and a big bookshelf filled with classics sat next to the big comfy sofa. Although the DiMarco's were far from rich, they did everything to make their house feel like a home and they had succeeded. Everything was beautiful.

 Everything was beautiful