A Cornelian Choice

Start from the beginning

"Mmh... I'd have to increase the frequency, but how do I do that without causing her possible brain death." 

I panic at her words but remain resolutely silent and still. Part of me wants this to happen, it will take the pain away. On the other hand I am absolutely terrified that it will happen. She doesn't even look at me as she returns to the computer. This cycle repeats itself over and over again, with the strength of the sound wave varying each time, as does its duration. After a while, she removes the small patches covering my temples. I hadn't even noticed I had them... She unties the various straps and forbids me to move, but even with the best will in the world, I would be unable to get up by myself. She retrieves the collar, letting the chain dangle to the ground, before lifting my head to reattach it around my neck. She then notices the many bloody marks on the table near my cheek.

"You really had to make a mess of everything... You'll come in early tomorrow morning to clean it up. I don't want any marks when I arrive." I nod weakly, not knowing if I can speak. She turns to speak to two other people I couldn't see but I could feel their presence. "You two, lock her in S 103 (A/N: totally invented) for the night. The Cleaners will meet you there with her meal."

Spinkick forcibly lifts me up and drags me towards the door. I tried to walk on my own but my skull was a total mess. As I was just about able to steady myself, Flytrap tripped me and I fell painfully to the floor.

"Dr. Bellum, it seems that Black Sheep doesn't want to come with us," said Spinkick cheerfully.

"What ! But that's f..." An electric shock cuts me off and I scream, more in surprise than in pain.

"Didn't I forbid you to speak Black Sheep ? Now hurry up to get up and follow them before I change my mind. Oh, and my dear, I need not inform you that you are deprived of food tonight for breaking an order. Sleep well, tomorrow will be busy for you."

"Yes, Doctor."

A few hours later

Bellum POV

"The tests are progressing, we'll be able to go home in three or four days. Her little seizure cost us a little time but nothing too serious."

" Her seizure ?" asked Maelstrom, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, Black Sheep had a psychological shock when we arrived. Apparently Crackle had helped her destroy my Trip Wire project prototype. So when we got here, she blacked out from the pain of the memories I'd dammed up to canalize her."

"What state is she in now ?" asked Coach, shaking her head as if she knew this was all going to happen. I don't understand Coach anymore, ever since we captured Black Sheep her behavior is changing, between wanting to hurt her and... guilt, I think. Putting my thoughts in order, I decide not to interfere. Human beings are far too unpredictable.

"She's okay, I guess. She's meal deprived for disobeying me but nothing serious. Everything is under contr..."

I am cut off when someone knocks on the door. I turn around in surprise, I had asked not to be disturbed unless there was a serious problem.

"Were you expecting someone Saira ?" asks Cleo, frowning at me.

"No. Whoever it is, it had better be a life-threatening emergency. Come in."

The two agents walk in with their heads down, clearly uncomfortable. Oh no, what have they done now.

"Dr. Bellum, we have a small problem..." begins Spinkick

"We're in the middle of a meeting, so spit it out and get out." Brunt cuts in.

"Spinkick's communicator is missing and we think Black Sheep took it."