12

Tucker work up early in the morning, just at the crack of dawn

Tucker work up early in the morning, just at the crack of dawn. She had wanted to beat everyone to the gym in the morning, wanting to workout at her own pace and in her own space.

She pulled out her typical workout outfit she had packed which was just a basic sports bra and a pair of leggings. Nothing special. She then put a black zip up, unzipped, on to cover herself up as the mornings were slightly chilly on base. Tucker grabbed the beat up pair of sneakers she had brought, tying the laces.

As she walked over of her to the door that exited her room she stopped to glance at herself in the small skinny mirror that rested on the wall.

Every single insecurity came back as she looked at her stomach and chest in the reflection.

The multiple scars from surgery hadn't healed as she had hoped. Portions had faded to just a slight mark but most of the incisions were deep, with a reddish white colored inner line.

Though they warned her it wouldn't be invisible. As she had a large piece of metal sticking out of her stomach and a collapsed lung. She was just lucky enough to be alive and have recovered.

Not wanting to dwell on it anymore she exited her room, turning the light off behind her.

She walked outside, wrapping the jacket around her exposed skin. 45°F was freezing for Tucker. She wasn't use to the cold.

She walked swiftly over to the workout building where she swiped her ID to get inside. The lights automatically turned on with her movement.

Tucker walked over to the weights and pushed her headphones on. The music loudly playing as she began to do presses. Her muscles burned, her forehead began to sweat but nothing was going to stop Tucker.

Her road to being herself before the accident was almost done. She pushed herself for an extra rep before dropping down the weights. Her hands resting on her knees as she caught her breath.

She then moved to the mat where as began to do abs. Something she had struggled with. The burning sensation began almost instantly as she did her routine. She shook with each set she pushed through. Her core shook, begging to just fall into the ground but she resisted. Pushing through another set.

When she was done she melted into the ground, her whole body was shaking at the end.

Just stood up from the mat, walking over to the treadmill to finish off her workout when the door opened. In walked Rooster, bright eyed and ready to get to work.

Tucker just ignored him, getting the treadmill to a speed where she could lightly jog. Rooster did the same, ignoring Tucker as he began to do some heavy weight lifting.

She kept her eyes glued on the screen in front of her, though at times she wanted to just glance at him. Tucker, however, had learned the hard way, she wouldn't give into temptation every again. Not with Rooster.

When she had hit thirty minutes of brisk jogging she turned the machine off. Her body was coated in a light layer of sweat. She pulled her headphones off and began to gather her things when she could sense Rooster staring. She looked up to see his eyes zoned in at her scars.

"Hasn't anyone told you it's impolite to stare?" Tucker snapped. Rooster quickly looked away, his hand resting on the back of his neck as he tried to come up with an excuse or something.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked, not looking at her.

"I didn't even tell my mom. I didn't want pity or any reason to be honorable discharged. This is we're I am suppose to be"

"I would have came to visit" he quickly replied. He turned to look at her.

"You sure you wouldn't have choked then too?" she commented, pulling her zip up on. Tucker left without saying another word.

She walked across the air base to find the sun had began to rise in the sky and people were more active now than when she first left her room.

She quickly walked into the dormitory building when a voice down one of the side halls stopped her.

"Lt. Benjamin" one of the admirals on base called out. She walked over to him, trying to conceal her exposed body with her jacket.

"Sir" she responded, pushing the hair out of her face. She looked extremely messy and unprofessional. Not a good impression for the detachment by no means.

"You've been reassigned on this detachment. Lt. Floyd had been reassigned to another recruit we just called in. It was a last minute call since one of the original recruits backed out. You'll be solo from here on out" he informed her.

"Ok. Thank you, sir" Tucker said before walking away, avoiding getting scolded for walking around the base looking like she did. She rushed off to her room where she instantly got into the cold shower.

A thing she had gotten use to since she had joined the Navy. There was no point in running the water. It never got hot enough.

As she scrubbed her hair she couldn't help but smile and feel more relaxed. Flying solo was her thing.

She enjoyed her time up in the sky by herself. Plus it relieved her of the feeling of having to be responsible for anyone.

Tucker knew liked to be responsible for someone in the second seat of an aircraft. Not after losing a wingman in another plane.

She scrubbed her hair once more before letting the water rinse away all the suds.