He inclined his head. "Not as boring as I anticipated after being a high knight. But I couldn't fight the rest of my life."

"I don't see why not," she pouted.

Nicolas had retired his sword to take up the mantle of leadership in South Gate. After Vivienne had given up the title, Nicolas was the one who stepped up to take it over. He had King Erec's blessing to do so and, after living here for years, the people were happy to accept him. Much more than they would have been if Colette had tried to do it.

But being lady mayor was never a title she wanted. Colette had only ever wanted to be a paladin and it didn't matter how long it had been, she wasn't going to retire that title. She was one of only two of their generation that chose to keep her title.

Sometimes, it meant that she was called into duty. However, it was rare. Since peace had come back over the kingdoms, there was no real need for the battle hungry paladin.

So, really, she spent most of her time at home. She used her power as a paladin, one aspect of which was seeing lies upon others as they spoke them, to help settle legal cases of those that came to South Gate seeking truth and justice.

However, that only occurred once or twice a week. Most of the time, she spent with her kids. She found as much fun play fighting with them as she did real fighting on the battlefield. She was pretty sure Leandre was going to follow in her footsteps as a warrior. His little wooden sword was pretty dangerous in his tiny hands. She didn't think Vivie would be as interested in combat, but she taught her all the same as wouldn't let her daughter not know how to fight or defend herself and others.

Where Nicolas found his satisfaction leading and guiding South Gate - one of the three major trade hubs between Vasconia and Gascony - she found hers in raising her children in between being a paladin.

Her life was everything she had ever wanted.

Nicolas couldn't say the same, but only because he had never dreamed he could be so happy. He never would have expected to find himself as mayor of South Gate, married to a woman that was so opposite to his, sometimes, dour personality, as well as a father of two children that were the brightest parts of his life, but he couldn't imagine a more perfect life now.

"How about you?" He asked, walking her backwards towards their room. "Did you do anything exciting with your day? Besides being conquered by a kid and a toddler?"

"You didn't see the glorious battle beforehand. I fought very hard. Besides, I was outnumbered. It was hardly fair."

Nicolas chuckled as he led them into their room. She shut the door behind them, blinking sweetly before leaping. Nicolas caught her easily as she locked her legs around his waist, peppering his face with kisses.

"Let's have another," she said, her hands in his hair.

"We agreed to wait."

"That was three years ago!"

He laughed as he dropped her onto their bed. Since she didn't let go of him, he had no choice but to fall with her. It wasn't exactly a hardship.

Lifting himself up, he smiled down at his crazy, energetic wife. Ten years together, and he loved her more now than he had at the beginning. His life was more interesting for having her in it. Even if he ended the day exhausted, it was worth it because she had filled every minute possible with love and laughter and life.

"What are you thinking?" She asked, giving him a suspicious look, her grin never fading.

"Only that if this is your attempt at seducing me into giving you another child before our agreement, then you aren't getting another one anytime soon."