I Bring A Knife to A Bull Fight

ابدأ من البداية

"This is stupid. This is stupid. This is stupid. This so stupid." I mumbled under my breath as I ran down the street.

Trying to close the distance before the thing charged. But I was tired, exhausted, and pretty hurt. Still, I urged my legs to keep running. Suddenly there was another flash of lightning and I looked up trying to see what was happening. And then felt my heart drop as the bull charged forward. I looked past it at the three figures ahead.

They had just made it to the bottom of the hill when one of them pushed the other two to the side. Moving into the center of the street as the bull charged at him. I felt my throat constrict as they managed to jump out of the way right before the monster's horns would have impaled him. Letting out a deep sigh of relief as I kept running ahead.

She had always told me that self-preservation was key. Don't put yourself at risk just because others might be themselves. Save yourself when the boat starts to sink. Be the first to jump over the railing or go down with the ship trying to save the crew on it. And what I was about to do essentially went against everything she had taught me. But I was always terrible at listening to her anyways.

I took another quick glance up as I approached all of them still several yards in front of me. And as another flash of lightning illuminated the scene in front of me fear settled into my heart as I saw the beast charge the woman in front of me. And I knew that quite a few things were about to go horribly wrong.

Percy's POV

"Run, Percy!" she told me. "I can't go any farther. Run!"

But I just stood there, frozen in fear, as the monster charged her. She tried to sidestep, as she'd told me to do, but the monster had learned his lesson. His hand shot out and grabbed her by the neck as she tried to get away. He lifted her as she struggled, kicking and pummeling the air.

"Mom!"

She caught my eyes and managed to choke out one last word: "Go!"

Then, with an angry roar, the monster closed his fists around my mother's neck, and she dissolved before my eyes, melting into light, a shimmering golden form, as if she were a holographic projection. A blinding flash, and she was simply gone . . . gone.

"No!"

Anger replaced my fear. New found strength burned in my limbs the same rush of energy I'd gotten when Mrs. Dodds grew talons.

The bull-man bore down on Grover, who lay helpless in the grass. The monster hunched over, snuffling my best friend, as if he were about to lift Grover up and make him dissolve too.

I couldn't allow that.

I stripped off my red rain jacket.

"Hey!" I screamed, waving the jacket, running to one side of the monster. "Hey stupid! Ground beef!" Jeez I needed to work on my one liners. Regardless it seemed to get his attention.

"Raaarrr!" The monster turned toward me, shaking his meaty fists.

I had an idea–a stupid idea, but better than no idea at all. I put my back to the big pine tree and waved my red jacket in front of the bull-man, thinking I'd jump out of the way at the last moment.

But it didn't happen like that. The bull-man charged too fast, his arms out to grab me whichever way I tried to dodge.

Time slowed down.

My legs tensed. I couldn't jump sideways, so I leaped straight up, kicking off from the creature's head, using it as a springboard, turning in midair, and landing on his neck in a millisecond, the monster's head slammed into the tree and the impact nearly knocked my teeth out.