" Mama, I didn't mean to hurt you. I just thought-

" That boy is just like your father."

I scrunched up my face. Not knowing what she meant neither, Cesar looked at her as well. Cesar was just an add on to what I was going through, just helping me a situation that I really didn't understand my damn self.

" What do you mean by that?"

" Lydia, I've been meaning to tell you something about your dad."

The atmosphere began to shift. Cesar slowly bit into a dinner rolls as his eyes drifted from my mom and eye.

" I haven't been the best mom, but I try to. And when you left with Latrell I just couldn't stand you coming back because I thought you chose who you wanted. Just like your dad right before I found out I was pregnant with you."

" I wouldn't understand why you allow your problems with my dad interfere with our bond. You can't just kick your daughter out like that-

" You're grown now Lydia. Yes, you're my daughter and I love you but you chose that side over your mom who knows what's good for you. Latrell isnt a bad boy."

" So, what's wrong? What is really wrong with him ma? I understand my safety is important but constantly controlling my life isn't something a mother should want to do. You kicked me out the house!"

With the clank of Cesar's fork going to work on his plate, my mom just held her hands tangled together close to her mouth. It was these moments where I needed to listen.

" This is really good." Cesar said with a mouthful.

" Did your mama ever teach you manners?" Mom laughed.

I was still frowned up, mamas attention more on me now as she shifted in her chair.

  " Before I found out that I was pregnant with you, you dad talked about making more money. For us to be stable, because we were basically homeless. He talked about being a gang and that it will make him some money. I didn't want him to, he didn't care if my pleads for him to seek something different. And when we found out about you, he wasnt letting up. That's when he joined the prophets."

Cesar erupted with a violent cough as both me and my mother looked to him. His index finger raised up to tell us he's fine, but he was just processing what was said.

" His daddy know." Mama pointed out.

I looked at Cesar as he looked at me.

" I knew nothing-

" I didn't say you did. But Lydia all I'm trying to say is...I don't want that future for you, being with someone that-

Mama stopped talking and just stabbed at her food.

" Ma, don't put latrell in that category like my father. Yeah, he's in a gang but he's not a bad person."

I looked over to see Cesar's face stuffed with dinner.

" Is it good?" I asked.

He swallowed.

" I haven't had a meal like that in a while." He smiled and just stared at his plate.