CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

Start from the beginning

Astoria nodded at her sister, "Daphne, I appreciate even just the thought." She stepped into the room, and at once, she was beaming. "Merlin!" She exclaimed, looking up at the ceiling.

"Do you like it?" Theo asked her enthusiastically.

"It's amazing!"

Pansy cut in, "took Theo and Draco hours and about three new spells they tried to create! Happy birthday Astoria," she hugged her friend briefly.

Astoria could barely pay attention to the hug, instead, she was infatuated with what they had done to the place. As she looked at the ceiling, she was transported back to the beach, somehow it was as though her memory was projected onto the walls, ocean waves crashing against each corner of the room, the smell of salty air and rose perfume intoxicating her.

"How did you do it?" She asked, tears in her eyes.

"Theo told me about the memory you use, when you cast a Protean Charm." Draco began glancing over at Theo was seemed equally enthralled by the sight as Astoria. "And then I did some ready, with Blaise's help, and created a kind of projection spell."

"It's amazing," she embraced him, holding on for just a second extra when he pulled away. "Thank you!"

Blaise smiled at Astoria, "I thought we needed something to cheer us all up a bit..."

"Now," Daphne took her sisters hand, "let's do presents." She led her to the sofa, Astoria barely looking where she was heading, her eyes still glued to the ceiling.

"Hey," Theo called out, "pay some attention to us! He joked at her, causing her to blush.

"Sorry!"

"We all chipped in for something," Pansy began, "we weren't really sure what to get you, so this is all Theo's idea if you hate it." She handed Astoria a neatly wrapped package, tied together with a silver and green bow.

Theo smirked, "I paid a fifth year for it, so actually, we can blame them..."

"I'm sure I'll love it," she finally peeled herself away from the image plastered above her, sliding her fingers between the paper and pulling it open gently, careful not to tear the pattern on the paper. She peeled it away revealing the most gorgeous painting, "Merlin," she breathed out raspily.

It was just like the picture on the ceiling, but smaller. Golden sand covered the lower half, each grain beaming in the sunlight. Cerulean waves crushed against the sand, sea foam blurring the two colours together, merging them into one. In the corner of the frame, sat two individuals - Astoria and her mother. A youthful Astoria lay in her mother's lap, her skin saturated with the orange sunlight.

"Theo- it's beautiful." Again, she felt tears brim in her eyes. She wiped them away, shaking her head, "I love it."

He grinned, "just doing what I do best."

Astoria traced her fingers across the painting, running her fingers through every groove.

"We didn't manage to get a birthday cake, but" Blaise clicked his fingers, "I managed to get Millicent to convince the house-elves to let her steal a few cupcakes!" He clicked his fingers, a selection of cupcakes appearing out of thin air. He passed one into each of his friends' hands, "now, we aren't going to sing for you-"

She cut him off, "thank Merlin." Astoria had heard Blaise, Theo and Draco singing during post-Quidditch celebration and it was certainly not something she wanted to hear again.

"And we have no candles, so there's that too." Theo grunted, "we could set fire to the icing, but I don't think that would taste good..."

She rolled her eyes, "I doubt it Theo."

"So, enjoy your cupcake, and then we could have some Bertie Botts," suggested Pansy, brandishing a new package of the infamous sweets.

Astoria took a breath before biting into the cupcake, "goodness!" She exclaimed as the sweet flavours exploded in her mouth, "why don't they serve this more?"

Blaise shook his head, devouring the cupcake, "maybe if we beat the house elves more."

A stunned silence was cast across the common room.

"Blaise-"

"Mate-"

"It was a joke!" He protested, "Merlin have you all lost your sense of humour?"

Daphne cut him off, "we just only laugh when things are actually funny."

"And that," Draco grimaced, "was not."

"I'll do better next time then," he reached over to Draco, swiping the icing off of his cupcake and licking it off his finger.

"Gross," he pulled a face, "anyone want mine?"

"Thought you'd never ask." Blaise snatched the cupcake from his hands, ingesting it in one.

Draco tilted his head, "not quite what I meant..."

"Who has the next birthday?" Daphne thought aloud, "it's not Pansy, you've been and gone..."

"That would be me," smiled Drack awkwardly. "I'm not expecting anything like this though, just a packet of Droobles would do me."

"No can do," Pansy shook her head, "we aren't buying you Droobles, of all things."

"Yeah," agreed Blaise, nodding his head eagerly, "I can't steal something I don't like now, can I?"

"How inconsiderate of me Blaise! I do apologise, I guess I could settle for some Bertie Botts, if the budget allows..." He raised his brows, "I should hope you're willing to spend that kind of money on me."

Theo groaned, "not sure mate. Bertie Botts are getting more expensive by the day..."

"By the time it's June, they'll be a hundred galleons at this rate," added Astoria.

"Do you like it Astoria?" Her sister whispered in her ear quietly.

"It's alright, too sweet for my liking but any-"

"Not the cupcake," she shook her head, "are you happy?"

"Very. Very much so happier than before."

Daphne smiled, squeezing her sister in a quick hug, "anything you want, remember?"

"Speaking of," Draco began, "I have another gift for you Astoria," he reached out his hand, grasping hers, "come with me."

Astoria grinned, "where are we going Draco"

"To see the stars."