1. There Lived Three Clowns.

"A long, long time ago, in a place far, far away from here... there lived three clowns."

The Red clown was the master of disguise; the Blue clown was the death-defying magician; and the Green clown was the enchanting acrobat.

Every day, every night, they would dance in their tent, and bring joy to the town.

-

"Rei-chan, Rei-chan!"

The boy turns around, and his little sister crashes into him with a hug. With a surprised yelp, they collapse into a heap on the ground.

"Ow..."

The girl laughs, sitting on her brother's stomach with her legs straddled around him. She grins cheekily, "Sae defeated Rei-chan again!"

Rei groans, rubbing the back of his head. No blood, all's fine. His hair is hopefully still brown (head injury would be disastrous,) but his school uniform is a little dirtier now.

"Well, nice try, Sae," he reaches up to poke his sister on the forehead, "but Rei-chan is immortal, so you have to keep trying."

Sae pouts at that, but Rei wraps an arm around her waist and slowly gets up, leading her to sit in his lap. They're still in the middle of the road, but they're right in front of their house, so he can probably afford to stay in that spot a little longer.

"Rei-chan, we're home."

Rei turns to see that the younger twin, Sui, is here too. She's much more soft spoken than her sister, and her smile is much meeker as well.

"We're home!" Sae echoes enthusiastically. "Hey, Rei-chan, today Sae caught this huge beetle in the forest, but then Sui--"

"Right, right, welcome home, both of you." Rei chides her, hefting her shoulders over his before lifting her up like a child under his arm. "Let's go inside the house first, okay?"

Rei gives Sui a glance, and Sui picks up Rei's bag in one arm to hug it to her chest. She takes Rei's free hand with hers, and they head into the house together.

The Ninomiya House is one without adults.

Dad is rarely around-- once a month, one every two? It's once in a blue moon, really-- usually, a nanny or a neighbourhood adult comes by to cook them a meal or three, but otherwise, Ninomiya Rei raises his younger sisters alone.

It wasn't a very assuring family situation, but they made it work.

-