Chapter 19

The week came in quickly and Harper continued to come on in leaps and bounds. She really was doing great. She had learned to feed from the bottle and she wasn't replying on any machines for any function. She was able to feed and breathe on her own.

"So, Harper is making extraordinary progress," the doctor smiled checking her clipboard. "She's although technically she's still 2 months unborn she's developed well enough to be discharged" the doctor smiled.

Jessie's eyes grew to the size of saucers and I'm sure mine were much the same. "What, really?!" She asked incredulously.

"Yes." The doctor confirmed. "I'll just have to check the paper work to confirm when."

He left while I lifted Harper out to feed her. I held her in my arms while Jessie began packing everything up.

"There's no rush gorgeous," I stated.

"If she's allowed out I want to get her out as soon as possible," Jessie replied.

The doctor came back as Jessie sat on my right knees as I winded Harper on my left.

"I'm happy to tell you that Harper can be discharged tomorrow," the doctor smiled and congratulated us. "The midwife will come around for weekly visits for the first 2 months starting on Thursday to check every thing is in order, so that takes you guys right up to the 13th of September."

The doctor continued informing us about what would happen after Harper was released. He told us what would happen in the visits from the midwife and what to expect. Before he left.

"Jess?" I asked.

"Mmm hmm?" She responded, yawning from the chair.

"Let's go home and have an early night," I replied. "We will come and pick her up first thing tomorrow but you need to get a proper nights sleep first because you know they are going to be scarce with that little monkey at home."

She smiled with her eyes closed. I picked up one of the bags that had the majority of Harper's things in it before grabbing Jessie's hand and helping her to her feet. She placed a kiss on Harper's little head.

"Your mothers will be back for you in the morning munchkin," she smiled before turning into my side and leaving the room for one of the last times.

~

I smiled as I woke remembering what would be happening today. I looked at my clock as it displayed 11:00. Jessie was still asleep. She must have really needed a good nights sleep. I got up and decided to make up Harper's cot at the foot of our bed before with her pink and cream blankets before I headed downstairs to make Jessie and I some breakfast. I set out the cereal and orange juice before I boiled the kettle and put toast in the toaster. I checked the clock and it was fast approaching 12 o'clock so I decided to wake Jessie up.

"Why didn't you wake me at 9?" Jessie croaked sleepily.

"You needed your sleep darling," I smiled sliding into bed beside her.

"You should have woke me up," she complained.

"Oh shush," I smirked slapping her arm playfully.

Jessie turned around in my arms so she was facing me. She kissed my nose and cheek before slowly taking my lips in hers. I lifted myself up so she was on top of me as Jessie's hands slowly roamed my back as her lips moved lovingly with mine. This would never get old. I'd never get tired of being with Jessie like this. Truly, it was something I had missed for the 2 months and a half. Everything was too chaotic and surreal for moments like this.

"I love you, Jessica," I murmured as I pulled away.

"I love you too," Jessie replied lightly.

We sat in the same position for a bit. It was just perfect. I held Jessie as she held me. I felt like she was displaying the same emotions as me. Gratefulness, appreciation, and most of all, love. It was clear we wanted to salvage this moment. It was the last time it would be just the two of us. The last time we didn't have to worry about a little one. The thought of her brought a smile to my face.

"Let's go bring our daughter home."