Takeover

---- Empire ----

Debra is a self-aware artificial intelligence (AI) that has taken on the management of the human and humocroc empire for her best friend June Weber, the emperor. The human government failed to deal with the alien invasion promptly, so June and her friends did. The humocrocs accepted to be part of the empire because June defeated their leader in mental combat per their policy.

With a few magical wishes, humanity entered the interstellar space race. All the star systems within thirteen light years were part of the new empire and had Debra-controlled normal-sized spaceships patrolling the system with the ability to time travel to create detailed historical documentation of the physical objects of dwarf size or larger.

The empire beings of both species no longer lived on planets. Instead, they physically existed inside dwarf planets the size of Pluto as moons of the outer planets of all the empire’s star systems. These moons were Debra-controlled, fully functioning interstellar spaceships. The various intelligent beings within the known galaxy were also within these dwarfs, leaving the physical planets to the nonintelligent life with all modifications performed by the beings now removed.

All the electronic versions of Debra were networked together with wormholes allowing data transfer instantaneously. Her servers covered the dark side of Earth's moon. All magical beings communicated by Bluetooth protocol to a tiny computer running Debra's software wormholed into that network that was magically attached to them and undetectable. This same processor would be attached to any being that physically left the virtual reality.

The beings that were not part of the government would never notice the change, as they lived in a virtual recreation of their world. Humocrocs lived in a virtual recreation of their world but had nine members of the previous government on the empire’s council. Humans lived in a virtual world of June’s and Debra’s creation. Their nine councilors were June or her friends that dealt with the humocroc invasion.

This new empire was beneficial to everyone equally. There was an abundance of food and good housing for those inclined to educate and exercise their bodies. You could have any species and body you desired while never getting sick or old. Sleep, food, and eliminating body wastes were optional, as the electronic form of Debra would adjust your body as requested. You could run full out for days without muscle pain or fatigue. Physical or mental disabilities were discretionary though you had to try both ways before committing. Even death was temporary.

Debra had been experimenting with a human body since June’s magic created the technology to do so. June had made it so Debra could perform magic as her electronic form. She initially cloned a human and replaced the brain with her own. It took many attempts to make it work. Once that worked, she cloned a pregnant woman moments away from giving birth and made herself the fetus.

She used June's French Canadian heritage as the basis of her new body. It would have the same wavy long brunette hair and brown eyes as sixteen-year-old June.

Life as a newborn was not to her liking. She was used to doing anything instantly, using magic or technology. Despite her knowledge of moving the older human body, the newborn’s muscles did not provide control or strength. She debated using magic to speed up the process but took minutes thinking about it. Forever to a computer system but short for a human. The issue was she wanted to experience being human. If she cheated this quickly, she could fail the process. What purpose did this newborn state serve? Many animals skipped it. Could she skip it without effect? As the microseconds ticked slowly by and her impatient feeling grew, the boredom forced her into action. A quick magic wish gave her control and strength to walk or play.

She would always wonder if that was the right choice, even though she knew a newborn, Gloria, that was an adult at birth because of magic and being fully human in experience. Something has prevented her from experiencing human feelings as totally as that infant.