Chapter 22

Abby brokenly wondered if their game would continue forever. He would pull her in and push her back. She would wonder what was wrong with him. She would try to move on. Then he would pull her in again. She would think about leaving, about getting a new job, but the mystery and desire would pathetically keep her trapped.

Had Bill found anything? He was the only one who might be able to give her some resolution. If Max were a criminal, then maybe she could finally push him away. She almost hoped it were that simple. Maybe Max was a sociopathic con artist who manipulated women. Then she could cry and be angry at herself for falling for it – but ultimately move on. At least she hadn't lost any money to him.

Saturday was rainy once again, so she spent it watching movies at home and searching for jobs in warm, dry climates like Phoenix. Did she want to stay in this city or go somewhere else? Did she want the same type of job? She tried to not think about Max, about that wonderful kiss. Her thoughts would loop endlessly and hopelessly. There was no happiness there. Not until Bill told her something useful.

But Max made it very difficult to forget him that day.

She heard three knocks at her door. Not having any packages coming soon, Abby wondered if it were a salesperson. She looked through the peephole and gasped. She threw open the door. "Max?" In a grey sweatshirt and jeans. His hair was damp from the rain. "Hey!" She ushered him inside and closed the door. "What are you doing here?"

He stared down at her, eyes disturbed and jaw tightened. Tara's words came back to her. "Well, just don't find out too late."

If he were dangerous, Abby had screwed herself. Her phone was up by her bedside. He could overpower her in a second.

"I found your address at work," he explained.

She had no response, but she was preparing to run.

Max said, "I came to tell you goodbye."

Her stomach plunged. "What?"

"We're leaving. Laura and I. I resigned from my job. We decided it wasn't a good idea to stay here. I can't...I can't be here anymore."

"Why?" she whispered, no longer afraid.

He looked down and shook his head.

"Because of me?"

He didn't reply.

"It is because of me!" Abby buried her face in her hands. "Max, I don't know what you want from me, what I've done wrong. I tried to leave you alone, but you--"

He placed a firm hand on her shoulder. "No, Abby. It's not your fault. It's not. It's mine. I can't leave you alone. I tried to keep you as a friend, just looked forward to seeing you at work, but I couldn't handle that either. You remind me of everything...It doesn't matter. I have to go. Before it's too late."

"Too late for what?" she asked, eyes filling with tears. "Are you happy with her?"

"That question. That question is irrelevant. You can't understand my circumstances. And I was wrong to even meet you in the first place."

She wanted answers so badly. "Are you afraid of her?"

"Not in the way you think."

"Do you feel sorry for her?"

"Abby, stop. I have an hour with you. She gave me an hour, and I'm grateful for that. And then I'll leave, and we won't see each other again. Please don't interrogate me for an entire hour."

"This isn't fair. It doesn't make any fucking sense."

"I know. But this is what it has to be."

She wanted to throw up. She wanted to scream. She was going to lose him. Because of what?