"What's her name?" asks Nicole, taking hold of her.

She positions her under her chin and sniffs her head.

"Umm—well—I quite like Charlotte Nicole Hudson."

Nicole whips her head around, staring unblinkingly at her brother.

"Do you like it?" he questions, suddenly unsure of himself.

Nicole nods, choked up with emotion. "I love it."

James winks at Freddie, the pair seemingly undergoing a private moment.

"Charlotte and Freddie," says Sloan, testing the names out together. "They sound good."

Freddie beams, happy to have been met with approval.

"So, should we take our niece out for her first breakfast?" asks James, standing next to Nicole.

"Sure. Let me just make a bottle up to bring with us," insists Freddie, stepping into the role of Dad rather well.

James and Nicole smirk as he heads into the kitchen.

"Do you want a hold?" she asks.

James practically sprints in the opposite direction. "No, thanks. I'm shit with babies."

"I do," insists Sloan, ready to snatch her up.

Charlotte fusses as she's handed over, seemingly enjoying all the attention.

"I'll leave you guys to it," I state, pulling on hem of my hoodie.

I'm suddenly very aware that underneath this, I'm wearing nothing but panties.

"Come with us!" begs Nicole.

"No, you guys came for family breakfast. I don't want to intrude."

"We're Hudson's!" jokes James. "We invite everyone into our family."

"It's true. We adopted Sloan last year."

Sloan grins, nodding.

"I'll need to get changed."

"That's okay. We've got time," insists Nicole, smiling.

The fact they really want me to come is heart-warming to say the least. For the longest time, it's only ever been Nan and me. I've never had a huge family and I think part of me always felt as though I was missing out on something. I think that's why I latched onto Josh so much when we first met. I was desperate to feel loved. To find a sense of belonging. Don't get me wrong. Nan made me feel all those things, but it got lonely at times.

"I'll be ten minutes!"

I quickly head to my apartment and change into something breakfast appropriate. It's another warm morning, so I settle for a red sundress and a denim jacket. I pair it with my favourite black sandals and an over the shoulder bag. I don't do much with my hair and I don't have time for makeup, so I apply a layer of gloss to my lips and leave it at that. When I'm done, I take a look at my reflection in the mirror and immediately feel deflated. This is the dress I bought with my first ever pay check at the hospital and Josh said it made me look ridiculous. That I didn't have the legs to pull off a dress like this. I instantly want to rip it off and curl up into a ball. Who am I kidding? I can't go to breakfast with these people. Why would a group of people as nice as them ever like me? They just feel sorry for me. That's the only reason they invited me in the first place.

I throw my denim jacket on the floor and bellyflop onto my bed, unable to stop the tears. Thankfully, my pillow masks my sobs and I take comfort in the fact no one can hear me.