"I can be Subtle!"

It was a few weeks later, and the two rowdy boys were as thick as thieves. With this friendship came two more, with chive's friends Bob and Lordi quickly being introduced.

As the days went on, Mary began finding herself being intrigued by the way the two boys hung out, and so began to question the validity of the boy's claims of heterosexuality.

One day, as Gustav was writing something down in his office, Mary decided to take action. She knocked on his office door, quickly being invited in.

"What's up, dear?" Gustav asked, putting his pencil down and looking up at his wife.

"Nothing..I'm just...I just wanted to talk to you about something."

"Is something wrong?"

"No! No. I....what do you think about Sebastian and Chive?"

Gustav pondered that question a bit before giving her an answer.

"Honestly, I'm happy for them. That boy needs a friend. Chive is honestly such a good one as well, so I'm pretty ok with them. Why?"

"Well..." Mary looked around before walking over to her husband, "I think the two might be... romantically involved with each other.."

"Huh? What makes you think that?"

"I mean...the two are very...close. and...they tend to act like we used to when we were courting.."

"If Sebastian did like chive..that way.. wouldn't he have told us?" Gustav asked.

"Maybe he hasn't said anything because he thinks we are the kind of people who are against that." Mary said.

"..oh. we do give off that impression, don't we, dear?"

Mary nodded in response, prompting Gustav to stand up.

"How can we get him to talk to us about something like that?" He asks her.

Mary suddenly gets an idea.

"What if we, like, hint that we think that. You know, be Subtle about it so he's not put off from talking about it."

"That's a good idea. I'll talk to him about it. I think he'd open up to his dad." Gustav said, smoothing back his hair and making his way to the door.

Mary followed behind him down the hall to Sebastian's bedroom, where their son had spent a good few hours painting something. Gustav looked at Mary for a moment before knocking on his door. Mary stepped away from the door as Gustav was invited inside.

Sebastian sat at his desk, painting diligently as Gustav stepped behind him.

"Hello, son. Painting coming along well?"

"Hello, father. Yes, it is."

The two sat in an awkward silence as Gustav looked back at the door, where Mary had peeked in. She flashed him a thumbs up, giving him the courage to start conversation again.

"So... Sebastian, " Gustav said, walking next to Sebastian's desk and leaning against the wall, "you know me and your mother love you, right?"

"Of course I do. You tell me every day."

"That's because. It's true! And..our love in... unconditional that means-"

"You love me no matter what." Sebastian finished his sentence with a chuckle.

"Right." Gustav says, looking around before speaking again. "And you know you could tell us if, oh just spit balling here, you happened to like...a boy you know."

"I know." Sebastian responded, smiling up at his father.

"Cool, cool." Gustav smoothes back his hair before a glass on the desk catches his eye. Mistaking it for chocolate milk, Gustav picks up the glass and takes a sip before the ugly realization hits that it was indeed paint water.

Sebastian laughs, slapping his hand against the desk as Gustav rushes to the window, spitting out the water.

The two stare at each other, with Sebastian quickly going quiet. After a moment of silence, Gustav begins laughing, with Sebastian quickly joining him.

After a bit, the two quiet down and Gustav exits, closing the door behind him and looking at his wife for approval.

"Dear?" Mary begins.

"Yea?"

"If you had a bright, neon sign that declared your intentions, it would be more subtle than you just were." Mary giggled,kissing her husband on the cheek.
Gustav rolled his eyes, snickering at her response.