01. why are you wet

Start from the beginning

"I go on your stupid runs, I hate running." I offer as a rebuttal, my sister could be such a little snake sometimes, I am the best older sister to her all the time and she couldn't even help me put a few boxes away?

Ever since she's turned fifteen she's been a dick. I missed my sweet baby sister not this hellion. It was true, everything was truly different.

"Seriously, when I come home tonight there better be some progress on this room."

After my mom leaves Jillian still stands in the doorway. " I'm not helping you unpack, Mars." With what she's gone.

Fine by me, I wasn't unpacking either anyways.
☆○o。o○☆○o。o○☆☆○o。o○

I can tell it's going to rain by the smell. It hardly rained in dry, sunny, Arizona, but here, it rained a lot. It smelled thick in the air, as the breeze grew chiller.

I pulled on a knitted grey cardigan my abuela had made me two summers ago. It still fit like a glove,  lord knew I wasn't growing anymore. I would stay short and slim forever, no matter what.

Jill told me I had a boy body. But she's even worse than me, skinny and flat as a board. I at least have cleavage and some curves. My hips are my most prized possessions and I thank my mama for them.

I guess sometime over the summer I had grown into a woman. I examine myself in the mirror for longer than I should. Longer than I want to.

Some days I like what I see, some days I felt indifferent. I decide to leave my hair down, I finish with a yummy vanilla smelling mist. I spray my neck, wrist and my shorts.

The sweet fragrance reminded me of Arizona and outdoor lunches with Rosie and Bash and night drives through the dessert. I peak out my bedroom window when I hear thunder rumble. Arizona called to me, she wanted me home.

The birds are silent as the first of the afternoon drizzles begin. Illy will get caught in the rain, she'd better run home fast and not get her new running shoes muddy, I just got them for her.

Across the street, in the Choi's driveway I see a car I haven't seen all summer. A white Jeep, new and shiny. Maybe they just bought it they have money out the wazoo.

I pull on my shoes and hurry over so that I don't get caught in the rain. I don't have an umbrella and by the time i'm outside it's pouring loud.

It felt good, like I was being cleansed of bad thoughts and stress, but my shoes and socks were wet as I sprinted through puddles with a skip.

The Choi's are next door, but i'm still drenched when I make it to the door. I slip hard on the wet grass from running too fast in my slippery converse.

I fall down hard with a pained whimper. I sit there a minute, wallowing in my failure. And then I just laugh, I hope no one saw it.

Around me it's dark outside and the neighborhoods quiet, except for the rain. I rise off my achy bum and wipe the grass stains off my shorts.

I make my way to the front door opening it, aching slightly from my tumble. I was sure to get a bruise.

I'm surprised to find the house quiet, usually Min or Mark greet me or debrief before leaving, but it's like no one's home.