Prologue: How it all began

Electra was a nightmare, but she sure as hell didn't look like one. In fact, she was one of the most beautiful beings Lord Morpheus ever created, if not the fairest in the land of the Dreaming.

She was proud of her beauty; how could she not be when she had luscious, shining brown curly locks falling down her back, reaching her waist? How could anyone not be hypnotized by her deep eyes that were like hooks to the soul, framed by dark eyelashes? Her body was inspired by the statues of Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty, causing the mouths of humans and gods alike to water with lust.

She had actually once met Aphrodite, when she had visited the realm, who gushed over her and her beauty. She was one of her countless lovers.

While many of the nightmares in the Dreaming were terrifying to look at, looking like monsters mentioned in mythologies with extra sets of teeth or eyes, Electra looked perfectly human.

She would seduce men and occasionally women when they visited the dreaming and after she had whispered sweet words in their ears and they had fallen for her, she would crash the illusion of love she had created. She would tell them that they were worthless, pathetic people with no purpose, no right to love or feel loved. She would point out their biggest insecurities that until then had been buried deep down in their souls, locked in a chained treasure box.

They would cry their hearts out to her, falling to their knees, begging her to not leave them as they wailed about loving her.

She was also known to her fellow dreams and nightmares as well as the rest of the inhabitants of the dreaming as rejection, or the wailing lady, as everywhere she went, wails would follow.

The nightmare was a favorite of the King. Electra was one of his best creations, and she exceeded his expectations. She was faithful to her duty and when not working, despite her nightmarish nature, she would help around the palace, always keeping him informed about whatever was happening in his realm. Her devotion had aided him numerous times, preventing disaster from befalling the kingdom.

When Orpheus was slaughtered in Thrace and Calliope, his once loving wife, accused him of not helping their son and leading him to the grave, she was there. A few months after Dream's and Calliope's union was broken, Electra approached her king in his throne room. She bowed deeply to him and consoled him. She told him that he really couldn't have done anything to prevent the unpreventable and that if he really was at fault then Calliope, was just as responsible.

It took Lord Morpheus a century, still mourning his son's and heir's loss, but Electra eventually became his lover. A few months later she was with child.

She had hoped that when her king took her as his lover, she would partake more in the decision- making of the realm, that she would have some kind of power. When she learned she was carrying Dream's child, she even thought about becoming queen by his side; a dream of hers since she could remember.

An unfulfilled dream

Despite giving birth to a strong and healthy baby girl, no title was given to her or their child, only a room in the palace for the girl and a beautiful, stone-made, castle-like house with a view of Fiddler's Green for her.

He didn't even bother to name the girl, and his visits to her bed became less and less frequent, until they were almost nonexistent.

Electra, still mourning her lost dreams, named their daughter Iphigenia, a name fit for a princess.

However, hope never died for Electra, whose heart was taken over by the desire for her and her daughter to be given their rightful place in the monarchy.

Dream never gave them anything, and for that Electra, resented him. He only ensured that Iphigenia would never see the waking word where she was vulnerable. One dead child was enough.

When the Corinthian escaped from the dreaming, Dream followed soon after, aware of the catastrophes a nightmare could unleash in the waking world. They thrived there after all.

It was supposed to be a normal and easy mission, but when the king didn't return, Electra realized that it was time for a change.

After all, a kingdom without a queen was not bound to last.