chapter two: baseball troubles

The picture above is what vance's HAIR looks like this chapter, not his whole outfit! I am not sure of the artist so if anybody knows please comment/tell me so I can openly credit them, thank you! (:

Just a heads up I also don't know jackshit about baseball, I'm from the UK. If I get anything wrong then I apologise in advance.

Bruce is 5'7, Vance is 5'5

TW: slight mentions of abuse

VANCE SHOVED HIS hands into his pockets, his back resting on the fence besides the bleachers. Gnats and wildflowers were thick on the outlining of the rotting fence, the unmoving tree above him shading his eyes from the burning sun that had only risen a few hours ago. His 'friends' sat above him their feet clanging against the metal in an unseemly, chaotic manner. It rang in his ears, but it didn't put him in any state of discomfort.

The stadium was bustling with life, children and parents of North Denver were swarming the place with coke cans and bags of sweets, everybody had this pit of anxiousness as they anticipated for Bruce to win.

Vance found himself staring at the mothers of the baseball team kissing their children on their foreheads, or fathers pulling them into tight hugs for good luck. Their affection was so open and genuine it almost shocked him. He doubted his mother had ever touched him unless it was to beat or punish him. The idea of his mother doing anything of that nature was vaguely horrifying to him.

Speak of the devil, Vance thought, spotting a familiar mane of black hair walking his way into the pitch, Bruce Yamada.

Vance kept his eyes on the wondrous boy, his lips moving for a couple seconds as he muttered words to himself. His bat was swinging in his hands as he nervously took his stance.

The crowd had gone silent for a few seconds, their feet pulling to a halt as their hands now rested by their sides in waiting for the pitcher to throw the ball and for Bruce to hit it with full force, like he always does.

Vance liked the way Bruce moved, his mouth curved into a small smile and his eyes flicked upwards to concentrate on the pitcher. His chest moved forwards and backwards as he nervously breathed in and out, vance liked the way he looked.

The sunlight burned down onto them, it illuminated his lips. His eyes were shaded by his helmet, it was thick and pushed in on his cheeks. He knew he shouldn't have been staring, but he can never look away.

The stadium began to get loud again, thrashing legs and hands on the bleachers and the mixed shouts of names. Also followed by some scattered clapping. He wasn't interested in the baseball itself, it was more or less the boy batting.