Ernest (Ernie) Macmillan

Ernest Macmillan

Biographical information

Born

Between 21 April and 1 September 1980[1]

Blood status

Pure-blood

Also known as

Ernie

Title(s)

Prefect

Physical information

Species

Human

Gender

Male

Hair colour

Blond

Family information

Family members

Nine generations of witches and warlocks

Magical characteristics

Boggart

Lord Voldemort[2]

Wand

unknown

Patronus

Boar

Affiliation

House

Hufflepuff

Loyalty

Dumbledore's Army

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Macmillan family

Hufflepuff

"Personally I think this is really important, possibly more important than anything else we'll do this year, even with our O.W.L.s coming up. I, personally, am at a loss to see why the Ministry has foisted such a useless teacher on us at this critical period. Obviously, they are in denial about the return of You-Know-Who..."

-Ernie Macmillan on Dumbledore's Army[src]

Ernest "Ernie" Macmillan (b. 1980) was a pure-blood wizard who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from 1991 to 1998 and was sorted into Hufflepuff house. He was an academically strong student and good friends with Hannah Abbott and Justin Finch-Fletchley. In 1992, Ernie initially suspected that Harry was the Heir of Slytherin during the opening of the Chamber of Secrets in his Second year, and was upset when Justin was petrified, though he eventually learned the truth. In his fifth year, Ernie became a member of Dumbledore's Army, an organisation found and led by Harry for the purposes of learning practical defensive magic. He joined the D.A. again when it was re-instated during his seventh year, opposing Death Eater control of Hogwarts and fighting in the Battle of Hogwarts in 1998. His life after the Second Wizarding War is unknown.

Early life

"...in case you're getting ideas, I might tell you that you can trace my family back through nine generations of witches and warlocks and my blood's as pure as anyone's..."

-Ernie yelling at Harry Potter during the Chamber of Secrets incident

Ernie was born into a pure-blood family that can trace its lineage back nine generations; he may be related to Melania Black née Macmillan, Sirius Black's paternal grandmother, a pure-blood family, which references to both his surname and blood heritage. Although he is proud of his blood status, Ernie is not prejudiced against those of other blood statuses, befriending and looking out for Justin Finch-Fletchley, a Muggle-born.