VI. GOODBYES ARE FOR TRAITORS

Start from the beginning

He was blindsided, going down a dark tunnel and imagining a light at the end of the line where he comes out on top, with his best friend. Barnes was the only thing Steve had from his old life and Luna could not imagine him giving up without a fight. Still, Luna could not blame him for not signing the Accords, especially with how much she had doubted her own decision over the past couple days.

"Alright, We're done," Tony said quietly, not even trying to hide the pain on his face. "You're gonna turn Barnes over, you're gonna come with us. Now!" he exclaimed. "Because it's us!" He motioned his hand to Natasha and Luna. "Or a squad of J-SOC guys with no compunction about being impolite." He added in a whisper, "come on..."

The hairs on the back of Luna's neck stood up as she felt something... a feeling so familiar at the edge of her mind... something high up. Her eyes followed her instinct toward somewhere inside the building opposite them. Green met blue.

In her moment of distraction, a split-second of her heart speeding up, Clint Barton had released an arrow from his bow from where he stood beside Wanda and Pietro. The arrow soared straight for Steve. He held his webbed up hands in the air and the arrow cut it clean in half, freeing Steve's hands.

Luna was shaken out of her trance when, seemingly out of nowhere, a man grew and grew to a regular size and grabbed Cap's shield out of Peter's hand, handing it back to its owner.

"Wait—what the fuck? What the hell was that!" Luna yelled at the same time as Rhodey.

"Oh, great," Tony mumbled over the comms. "Alright, there's three on the parking deck. Clint and the twins. Nat and I will go."

"Tony, I nee—"

"Absolutely not, Carter, you go after the other twin. None of us are a match for his speed."

Luna accepted with a grumble.

"Got two in the terminal. Wilson and Barnes."

"Barnes and I are evenly matched. I will get him," T'Challa said, beginning to take off.

"T'Challa," Luna said warningly. "Don't be reckless."

T'Challa kept silent and took off. Steve followed after him without a second thought.

"Hey, Mr. Stark, what should I do?" Peter asked awkwardly.

"What we discussed," he replied, and Luna could feel the eyeroll under his helmet. "Keep your distance. Web 'em up."

"Okay, copy that!" the kid replied and swung away with surprising agility.

"Still creeps me out..." Luna shuddered as she saw him crawling across the windows. "Tony..." she said carefully. "Just... try not to hurt her?"

Tony activated his rockets and flew off through the airport.

A whoosh blasted past Luna. Stumbling back, she found herself caught by surprise by the speedster for the first time in a really long time. She planted her feet on the ground and felt the vibrations of fast footsteps through her legs, getting louder and harsher. Just in time, she punched out and grabbed Pietro by the collar, lifting him into the air with the momentum and pushed him to the ground. He hit the concrete loudly, a rough breath coming from his lungs, trying to get air back in them. Looking at the pained expression on Pietro's face, which had grown a short stubble since last she saw him, Luna was startled.

This is your best friend. Why are you fighting him?

She caught sight of Captain America and the Black Panther exchanging harsh, quick blows and was immediately reminded: She signed the Accords. This was her duty.

You didn't sign up to beat up your friends. When have you ever cared about duty?

Shut up, Luna thought. They're defending Barnes.

Bucky's innocent.

No. This is what Peggy would've wanted, she thought, Sharon's speech repeating in her mind.

Luna pressed down harder on Pietro's chest, feeling his rattling breaths. "Stay down, Pietro."

Pietro opened his eyes. Blue met blue. In Luna's distraction, he managed to grasp her wrist and flip them, putting Luna to the ground, a knee on her stomach to restrain her.

"No, you stay down. It is not too late to change your mind, Luna," he said gruffly, his pale hair falling in his face.

"You don't understand—"

"No!" Pietro snarled, surprised by his own tone. "You do not understand! After everything we have been through—how could you sign—" he couldn't finish his sentence, because from a little ways away, an explosion reached above rows of cars.

Luna realized that was where Tony had flown off to. Pietro had a similar insight.

"Wanda," they both said at the same time. In a flash, Pietro was gone. Luna followed, running with the wind in her back.

Wanda stood in the middle of the parking lot, Clint at her side with an arrow knocked in his bow. Tony flew above them, his blaster raised.

"Wanda, I think you hurt Vision's feelings," Tony said as Luna arrived, just behind Pietro.

"You had him baby-sitting me," Wanda replied.

"Okay, first," he said, "that's an exaggeration. Second, I wanted to keep you at the compound, Carter's the one who came up with the compromise."

Wanda didn't acknowledge that Luna was there.

"Clint," Luna said, walking closer. "Retirement not for you? Tired of shooting golf?"

"Well, I played 18, shot 18." He looked at Tony. "Can't seem to miss." He drew his arrow back and released it. The arrow flew just past Tony, who quickly blasted it out of the air.

"Well, first time for everything," Tony quipped.

Luna frowned at the smug look on Clint's face. "Made you look," he said.