"Hi, what can I get you?" He'd speak, his voice was slightly raspy but sweet. It was comforting. I let a breath out before shakingly replying to him.

"Um, I'm Hazel Lee Parker, I'm here to perform on that, stage?" I say, pointing my whole hand towards the stage and then my guitar that's hanging on my back by the case. A bright smile appears on his face. "You can go right up and perform now!" I look at him, my eyes widen.

"Like, right now, like, this instant right now?" I choke out, staring at him.

"Yep! Don't be nervous, this is a really nice community and most people are busy talking anyways!"

"Alright then.." I say, giving him a small wave off after he explained the microphone set up. I already knew how they worked, but he doesn't need to be overinformed.

I walk up to the stage, setting my guitar case down and my song book on the music stand. It was a simple set up, a tall stool with a back attached to it to prevent anyone from falling off, a stand for music and a microphone that was adjustable. It was simple and cozy. I carefully take my guitar out, making sure it's tuned before I actually associate with these people. Once I finally sit on the seat, almost everyone is already looking at me, anticipatingly. Busy talking my ass.

Without introduction, I began to shakily strum my guitar. After glancing at my song book then back at everyone watching me, I instantly mess up with the first line, my voice cracks evidently. I instantly stop, shock taking over my face as I look at everyone awkwardly. Some are whispering to their friends. After taking a hard swallow there was a loud clang noise. Everyone would look in the direction including me.

A boy with dirty-blonde curly hair was on the floor. He'd quickly stand up, picking up the small metal pole that made the clang noise. He'd look at everyone with an awkward apologetic smile. He had extremely evident eyes. You could see them clear as day in the shops lighting. They were a bright blue, they seemed unreal.

"Sorry, tripped over my shoe everyone, completely my bad, carry on." He'd look at me, giving me a wink with a smirk that was clear as day. Why did he wink? Why is he smirking? Is he poking fun at me?

"Tell us your name!" He'd shout, now showing his teeth with his smile. What the fuck? I shake it off, pulling a fake smile on my face and looking at everyone. They were now looking at me again.

"Sorry, I'm Hazel Lee Parker um, sorry for the voice crack.. it's kind of nerve wracking when you're actually up here.." I smile awkwardly. Suddenly people started giving chants of encouragement, one guy randomly offered if he needed to play his banjo alongside me as a way of comfort. After thinking about it and looking at my songbook, it made sense for the near end of the song, so I invited him up. After talking about it with him, we came to an agreement and sorted it out. I looked back at the audience we had, everyone smiling. That one boy still watching, even though his friends went and found a table for themselves. He seemed excited to watch.

"Alright so, this song is honestly really personal to me so, I hope you enjoy it.." I smile, strumming my guitar once again, taking a breath before I start singing. This time I didn't mess up. As I'm midway through the intro, I see everyone actually seeming interested in the song. I start smiling when I get to the chorus.

I do a big strum, beginning to sing the chorus.

"And I, love Vermont but it's the season of the sticks.."

As I get closer to the part of the song that's made me so closed towards others, I look up at the boy who fell after I messed up earlier. For some reason it'd help me from getting choked up. The guy who offered earlier finally started on his banjo, he was really good.

"My other half was you.." I'd sing that line, instantly looking away from the boy I had been staring at. For some reason it made me angered that I even looked at him while singing. Why'd I do that?

Finally I sing the last words, the room silent for a moment until people start clapping. I put on a fake smile, giving out a few thank yous. I thank the man on the banjo, complimenting him before he stepped off the stage and went to sit down again. I quickly get off the stool, packing my stuff quickly.

"What's the name of the song?" I hear a voice, I look up from my guitar packing. It was the boy.

"Doesn't have one."

"Oh, well I think a good title would be Stick Season.." He'd offer. "Also, did you say your last name was Parker?" There it is.

"Yes, that's my last name, and yes, my dad is Mitchell Parker and my mom is Marianna Parker." I say, closing my guitar case and quickly zipping it, slinging it around my shoulder and on my back.

"I love your dads music. I don't know your mom though.." He'd say. "Your dad is cool." He'd finish. I roll my eyes, looking at him.

"He's a prick." Is all I say, I start to quickly walk off.

"My name is Jeremiah.. by the way.." He'd say, giving me a smile once I turned to look at him.

"And you already know mine Jeremiah, have a good day." I turn back around, quickly leaving. All that was left behind was the jingle of the door. Why am I being so fucking mean?

- - -

a/n; HELLO AGAIN!! I HOPE YOU LIKE THIS CHAPTER!! LOL

w.c; 1776

published; September 10th, 2022

edited; ☑️