Chapter 1: The Discovery

"Yeah, you just keep watching the show, Imma be right back with you." Jeremiah, your long-time boyfriend urged, shoving the popcorn into your hands as he vanished into his room. You raised a brow at his sudden departure.

You just reached home after an exhausting day from working at your part-time job. A small, retail shop in the middle of a mall. The staff there were more than accommodating. When you had first joined the team, they were very patient in teaching you the ropes even going as far as to shoulder a complaint on you when you had messed up once. The shop sold apparel, accessories and even toiletries, an odd combination but you bite your tongue at the boss's accentrics.

The real problem, however, was the manager. He was a stout, middle-aged man who was a little enthusiastic when it came to female workers, like yourself. Your coworkers had warned you about the manager, of how not to stay too close to him as he tends to get really touchy. In short, he was a touch-starved pervert.

Once, a former staff member had enough of his antics and went to file a complaint to the HR, but it all led to a dead-end as the manager himself and the HR were in on it together, no thanks to some under-the-table bribing. No one had the power to do anything. So, in a team effort, you had all decided to avoid the manager whenever he was around. It was difficult as he'd often be seen out front, preaching about "customer happiness" and how "the customer is always right", which was a load of crap if you asked me.

After a long day of work, you just wanted to lay down on a soft, comfy mattress and sleep, but it seems that your boyfriend had other plans. Out of nowhere though, he had decided that he wanted to pamper you. When you stepped into your shared apartment, he surprised you with snacks, ice-cream and even a teddy bear. He had mentioned that it was because you have been "working very hard".

You were elated, of course, as he was never the type to pull surprises like this. You were both just laying on the couch sharing the snacks that he had bought, when his phone abruptly rang. He excused himself in a hurry, hastily padding into his room. Out of exhaustion, you shrugged and excused his behavior, maybe one of his friends needed help with something.

However, something in your head urged you to eavesdrop on his conversation. At first, you snuffed that thought out, as you felt that it was rude to eavesdrop on other people's business. But, was it paranoia or exhaustion-filled anxiety? You had no idea. With a lot of effort, you unwrapped yourself from the fluffy blanket he had smothered you with and tip-toed to the door of his room.

"Babe, I've told you- No! Not now, I'm with my girlfriend. What?- I-I can't, she's going to get suspicious- Listen, let's talk another time okay? I promise- Just-" You hear him sigh, "Okay, fine... I'll try alright?"

You feel your heart shatter into pieces, as your suspicions were confirmed. You stood there, completely broken as your mind screamed "See! I told you." , over and over again. Hearing incoming footsteps, you quickly dashed back to the sofa, pretending as if nothing happened. He came out from behind the door and sauntered back to where you were. Steeling your nerves as you have done many times before, you swallowed the lump in your throat and asked, "Who was it?"

"Oh, no one, just uh- Travis. Listen, babe, um- He said he needed help with something now, and-"

"This late?" Your emotions faltered a little, but your pride refused for you to break now.

"Y-yeah. He's in a bit of a pinch now and I really really need to go. Are you okay with staying home alone for tonight? I know I said I'd pamper you tonight but, Travis man..." He looked away and you swore you could see the guilt clouding his eyes.

The words, You mean Madison? Were on the tip of your tongue but you decided to swallow those words and nodded at him. "Yeah, sure. Go ahead, I'm feeling sleepy anyways." You lie, faking a yawn and a stretch. He grinned widely, accompanying you to his room before he said a quick goodbye.