Chapter 02 ~ Rondu

Prachi and Shahana are keenly listening to the professor of their literature class when an alarm rings through the college.

"Fire! Fire," yelled Darsh much to everyone else's annoyance. Everyone remains seated, with the exclusion of Prachi. The whole class is aware of Darsh's annoying pranks but they are all unaware of Prachi's fear of fire. Prachi recalled the events from that tragic day, she had lost someone very special in that fire, the last thing she wanted to do was be near another fire.

"Shahana, let's go, please. I don't want to be near another fire," Prachi tugged Shahana's arms and stifled her tears. She couldn't cry, she wouldn't cry. At least not on her first day her new college. For that, she knew that she needed to avoid the fire at any cost. She didn't want to get reminded of that incident again. She lost the person who most connected with her, who always bickered with her. She would never have that connection again, her twin was gone and she had to accept that fact and learn to live it. Even if she was only six at the time, she knew and understood how important her twin was to her. She missed her twin, and no one would ever be able to take her twin's place. Not even in her next lifetime.

Shahana and the rest of the literature class were bewildered on seeing Prachi's reaction but they assumed she was afraid of fires and in a way they weren't wrong but they weren't entirely right either.

"Prachi please calm down....." before Shahana could finish her sentence Prachi started breathing heavily and faints.

Everyone is astonished to see this and the professor glared at Darsh.

"Darsh, how many times have I told you not to pull off these types of jokes! Especially when there's someone new the class. You will be coming to the principals office with me. Shahana, you take Prachi to the health centre and Aryan I'm putting you in charge of the class; if no one listens to you inform me and they'll get a month of detentions," ordered the professor.

As the professor speaks no one dares say a word, well aware of the consequences. However two people were not at all afraid; they had their back up with them and they would just blame him. He would get out of it easily enough; he was from a high status and rich background. It would help them heaps.

Shahana started to help Prachi up but is unable to do it alone. Rishi, a normally quiet student, came up to her and helped. Someone mouthed a thank you to him and Rishi discreetly gave him a thumbs up. Everyone but one person failed to notice this interaction. The person looked at Rishi curiously. Why was he connected with that group? He didn't seem like that type of person. The person, Shahana, decided kept a close eye on Rishi from now onwards.

After a while Rishi noticed Shahana eyeing him.

"What is it, Shahana?"

"No one else may've noticed the interaction between you and him but I did and I know you won't tell me what that was about but if I find you joining there gang, I will not hesitate in murdering you. Even if you are my cousin," Shahana glared at Rishi.

"Look Shahana, sometimes things aren't the way they seem. You won't understand what I mean right now but in time you will, everyone else will too." Rishi replied, understanding who the 'him' was.

The rest of their journey remained silent, aside from Prachi's unintelligible mummering.

================================================================================================================================================================

"No, no, no! Mumma lemme go back. I save! I save." A girl, approximately six years old, screamed.

"Didi! Mumma! Papa!" The girl and the two adults nearby hear someone scream. The girl rushed towards the fire in front of her but before she made it the man next to her pulled her back.