XXVII

Aysal te txep
(Wings made of fire)

We rose earlier than normal, I woke up in the early hours and was too afraid to go back to sleep. The clan hadn't risen yet, only a few individuals. Some people went to sleep last night and never woke up.

The mourning didn't end, and won't end for a long time.

My observations of the clan from Tsu'tey's side must have made many question what I am to them. I'm sure that even if I wasn't at his side, they'd be reevaluating who I should be to the clan.

Regardless, the morning went on as normal. People ate, got to work. And Mo'at began to lead us in prayer. This is the most sacred place to all Na'vi.

Her voice was small at first, wavering with the heavy loss of her mate within her mind. But with courage, she was one of the first to pull themselves together for the betterment of the clan.

As the sun began to set over the huge arches over our heads, the valley fills with voices. All firmly cementing their existence. We are here, and we're are in mourning.

"Utralä Nawm
ayrina'lu ayoeng,
A peyä tìtxur mì hi-" we sang, until the sound of wings silenced us.

The screams came from the back, but Tsu'tey was the first to notice. Just standing there, in awe. The stories, the songs, the history was all replaying in his head as he gazed up at its terrible shadow. Drowning in its darkness, we all stared up at the membranous wings that came closer.

It landed with a trumpeting cry, it was shrill and screeching.

"Toruk Makto..." Mo'at gasped.

Tsu'tey looked as though he would attack its rider, not out of anger, but fear.

The rider was familiar looking, definitely an avatar... it's Jake.

"What in the fuck?" I hissed with disbelief.

His path carved through the crowd, to Neytiri.

They shared an intimate moment full of whispers and clear passion. But then his eyes met mine and then laid on Tsu'tey. His expressions shifted to harden.

"Ma Tsu'tey te Rongloa, Ateyo'itan."(Tsu'tey of Rongloa, son of Ateyo.) he addressed with more respect than I've heard him address Tsu'tey before, "Eo ngenga kllkxem ohe, alaksì Omatikayaru, kìte'e sivi."(I stand before you, ready to serve the Omatikaya people.) he offered himself.

Tsu'tey didn't look angry. Just confused and scared for his people. He blinked and looked at Toruk in disbelief. He cleared his throat and stepped closer to Tsu'tey.

"Toruk Maktoyu..." he addressed Jake, "ohel hu ngengati tswìyayon."(I will fly with you(honorific)) he announced, placing his hand on his shoulder.

He looked at me, and then at Mo'at.

"My friend is dying." He said grimly, "Grace is dying." He nearly whispered. Neytiri came to his side to comfort him.

"I beg the help of Eywa." He pleaded.

"Bring her JakeSully." Mo'at said.

He turned on his heel after giving Neytiri one last longing look.

I intertwined my fingers with Tsu'teys for support. The warmth from his palms sent shivers down my spine. Jake didn't take his new mount, instead she just grabbed a direhorse. The shack can't be far. It was premeditated.