Chapter 2: Failures

Začať od začiatku

Papyrus began to slow down, his breath was heavy. What on god's railways just happened? Did he just hear the deaths of the tank engines? Did he fail?

"Papyrus!" called his driver, snapping his engine out of his thoughts. "We've got to pick up the pace!"

"Y-Yes, you're right," said Papyrus, but as he did so, going further into the night and away from the city nights and fire behind him, he couldn't help but curse loudly as the guilt ripped through his body. He thundered off down the track, leaving the pile of engines to burn at the junction.

His failure.

***

Trains continued as usual to the mainland, but there was a certain darkness at Barrow when Gordon would always bring his express service. The usual change-over was still there with the facilities for the North Western were still in service with a few sheds, a water tower, and a coal hopper. The big engine would always scowl disapprovingly as he pulled into the station.

There were no engines.

Diesels only lurked in the yards and rumbled by with their respective trains. Steam engines were few and far between here nowadays. Gordon hasn't seen a steam engine come to the station from another region in ages. Gordon stopped at the platform he usually goes in, a deltic diesel sat on the other platform, waiting for the express train to arrive so they could take it themselves to London. Gordon didn't even look at the diesel. Dirty things, he would always think to himself as he would puff off to the sheds and fuelling station without a single word to the diesel, who would just watch Gordon with a suspicious look on their face.

Gordon kept his fierce scowl as he moved to the water tower, his crew topped him off and he waited impatiently until his return train was ready. He eyed the diesels who shunted the coaches, Pug and Lina were long gone. Lina left first, running off in the middle of the night, Pug wouldn't say anything about her disappearance, but Gordon knew that the saddle tank engine was hiding something. Henry had theorist that she left for Thesang and Pug refused to go. The next week, Pug was sent away to the scrapyards. Which one, he did not know. The diesel shunter pushed his coaches into place and rolled oily away, Gordon watched it with suspicion, what was that diesel thinking? Is it happy he made an engine run and an engine die? Is he proud of what he caused?

A honk came out of nowhere causing Gordon to jump out of his thoughts, he glared over to the source to see a diesel next to him, rolling in, no sound from its engine but the face it gave looked like it was exhausted and in pain. But they gave a slight smile to the big engine, Gordon recognised the design, one of its brothers was on the branch line that was Edward's, but right now he was away and had not yet realised he was being replaced by the ugly things.

"Morning," coughed the diesel, he then gave a small scoff of a chuckle, "or is it midday already?"

Gordon only stared at the diesel, not saying anything, his brow slowly crinkled as he examined the diesel. The diesel felt the cold, unwelcomed stare from the big engine, but he still continued. "You're a... Fat Controller's engine... aren't you?"

The time struck for Gordon to leave and he did without saying another word to the diesel, leaving it in a cloud of steam. He didn't bother looking back to see his reaction, only caring to get back to Sodor, back to a place where there were no engines replaced.

***

Gordon returned to Sodor with his express train, on time as always when stopping at the platform at Tidmouth. The passengers all got off and walked away to leave the station to finish the remainder of their journeys. Gordon laid still, he then noticed something at the corner of his eye. A newspaper stand always stood close to the platforms at the end of the station, the engines could always see the headlines, and what Gordon could see something haunting.

"ENGINE MASSACRE OUTSIDE LONDON"

"Driver, what's this about an engine massacre?" Gordon asked, "on the newspaper stand over there."

His driver went over and hesitantly paid and picked up the paper. He looked at it briefly and went into the cab. "Best we shunt the coaches first old boy," he said, "then we can take a look at it."

The big engine puffed away from the station, pushing the long train over the junction, and then placed them into the coach shed. He stayed there though, with his crew coming to the front of him, the paper still in his driver's hand.

"You sure?" he quizzed Gordon.

"Yes."

The driver sighed and began to read out aloud. "Three days ago, a disturbance occurred once again on the outskirts of London. As usual, the reports of the horrific sound were from the railway, where a Warclaw attacked another batch of engines in cold blood. There were only three engines but it has been stated that an engine was also trying to lead them out but escaped the onslaught. "60096 Papyrus" has been written down as missing as of this, it is presumed that the engine was the one that escaped."

"Papyrus..." said Gordon, he looked a little alarmed, "my brother... he's missing?"

"That's what it says here," replied the driver.

"My brother is in peril!" Gordon cried out, "I—I—I must go to London!"

"You are not going to London," huffed his driver, "you're needed here, besides, remember when Edward left and how furious the Fat Controller was? I don't want that on my shoulders."

"Indeed he did, but the Fat Controller understood why Edward did it," replied Gordon, "he hasn't demanded Edward to come back, never did. The Fat Controller won't be pleased, but he will understand."

The driver folded his arms disapprovingly. "Please Sean," Gordon pleaded, "this is my blood brother we're talking about. I've known him ever since he came out of Doncaster, I need to protect him and get him to Thesang or back here!"

The driver shook his head briefly but groaned loudly. "We'll ask the Fat Controller first, then we'll discuss going behind his back if he doesn't allow us to go to London."

A small sigh of relief came to Gordon, that was at least something.

***

James looked over at Gordon, who sat at the platform in the early morning. The big engine stared out onto the open line, looking hesitant, his full express ready to follow him no matter what.

"I can't believe he agreed to it," the red engine said, "after Edward left, I was sure he wouldn't allow any of us to go!"

Gordon huffed. "Well, he did for me," he replied, the big engine then looked over to James, "I will be going and I do know how long I will be gone. But just know this, I will return."

"And with your brother no less?" asked James.

"Yes," said Gordon, "I will, either he stays here on the railway, or he will be sent to Thesang by ship or be preserved. But if he comes here, he will be safe from the cutter's torch."

The big engine then heard the footsteps of a familiar person and he looked to see the Fat Controller walk up alongside him. He smiled, nodding with approval. "Be careful out there Gordon," he said, his tone dark and with the utmost seriousness, "the mainland is not a place you remember, it is quite different now. There are practically no more steam engines running and only diesels.

"Yes sir," replied Gordon, "I will be careful, and... thank you for allowing me to do this."

The Fat Controller nodded. "You would have done what Edward did," he said, with a small smile on his face, "if I cannot stop you, I might as well help you. Now, I hope for the journey to be smooth and well kept to time, and good luck."

With a tip of his hat, the Fat Controller began to walk away back to his office. "Thank you, sir," Gordon said, he then looked out to open stretch, his wheels were stuck in place, anxious to get moving, knowing he could very not be coming to this station for some time or even at all. After what seemed like an eternity, the guard finally blew his whistle and waved the green flag, the signal was green for the big engine to go, and with his wheels turning, Gordon left the station, and began his long journey to London.