Chapter 3: Restless

Jean gazed into the cell that held the husk of someone she had called a friend. She stared at it, waiting for it to... do anything, really.
It didn't. It never moved. It didn't even seem to breathe.
It lay propped against the wall, it's arms and legs in shackles. It's head was laying listlessly to the side like it would tip over at any second.
Jean banged against the bars.
No response.
"Albedo?" Jean asked quietly.
Nothing.
She sighed to herself as she carefully unlocked the cell.
"Are you sure-"
"Yes," Jean hushed the guard. She entered the cell and squatted near Albedo. It didn't seem to even know she was there. She poked its arm.
Nothing again.
It was like it wasn't even alive...
"Jean..." Lisa spoke up quietly, "I think you shouldn't touch it..."
Jean stood, "alright..."
The second she stood up, Albedo's hand twitched. Then, it started shaking, soon it's arm was convulsing.
Jean opened her mouth, but couldn't get a word in before something worse happened.
Albedo's mouth opened and his eyes rolled back. From the whites of his eyes were black veins that bulged until they burst. Out from the veins spew black smoke that billowed towards the ceiling. From his mouth came the same smoke.
Lisa muttered a few words, encasing the smoke in an orb. The orb got smaller and smaller until it was gone. "And don't come back."
Jean stepped out of the cell, closing and locking it, "what was that?..."
"Whatever took him over..." Lisa heaved a sigh.
"You don't know?..."
Lisa shook her head with a shrug, "no idea."
Jean sighed quietly, "is there... what can we do?"
Lisa bit her lip, "I don't know... all we can do, I think, is keep an eye on him... If Klee is right he might be able to find his way back..."
"Klee stated that he's waiting for us to find him..."
Lisa faltered, "ah... I don't know... if we can even do that... that would be very difficult..."
Jean shook her head, "not an option. We can't loose anyone else."
Lisa paused, "but if we could-"
"It could kill you, Lisa." Jean started walking back up the stairs, "I can't loose anyone else."
Lisa looked back over at Albedo one last time. She thought of how he would bring a smile to everyone's faces just by being around. How everyone enjoyed listening to his observations. His beautiful sketches that would be the best part of someone's day...
He would truly be missed. If Lisa were to trade, in a way, her life with his...... Jean would surely never forgive her. But wouldn't everyone else be happy?...
Lisa felt that a bit selfish of her. She shouldn't go against Jean like that... But maybe there was another way.

Lisa sighed through her teeth, "Jean, I... I don't know what to do..." She was reading through some of her old spell books, searching for a way out of this situation. It had been a few days since Albedo had been... out of commission...
"I'll... I'll give you a month..." Jean hurt deeply on this topic, "I just... I cant keep that thing around... it's causing Kaeya problems and it... it creeps me out..."
Lisa nodded, "I know... I..." her words fell short.
Jean's eyes wandered around, "Kaeya... is taking this the hardest out of all of us... he was probably the only person Albedo ever really spoke to on a personal level..."
Lisa rested her eyes in her palms, "I hate this... why can't it just... go away..."
Jean bit her lip, "if only it were so easy..."
Lisa held her breath, trying not to start crying again as she imagined how Kaeya might have felt as he watched Albedo...