Chapter Two

Aethan

The first thing I saw from the prow of my ship was something resembling a green dragon, rising from the mist of the Vernet. Bathed in the golden light of dusk in all that mist, the leviathan looked like it was coiled in flames. It had seen us, and in response had let out a shriek and a heavy breath of mist, shrouding it from view once more.

Then the Southern ships emerged.

All around me the sightings were called by the crew, while some muttered curses or prayers because of the leviathan.

We had done battle with those beasts, but could never master one. How did you master something that submerged with every attempt to capture, train or kill it?

Six ships had come out of the mist, but I didn't doubt that more remained in hiding, along with their beast.

The leviathan wasn't the only creature travelling with them. In the cross beams and crows nests of each ship were the gryphons. These carried men clad in armor, and bearing leather whips with spikes on the tail. The Ra'hamen, or masters of the sky, were feared by our people as gods.

Superstition was the slavery of commonfolk and noble alike. They may wear no chains, but they were still very much in thrall. We only had five Ra'hamen in our entire army, and they bled like ordinary men.

I counted eight gryphons with riders on the incoming ships and had to remind myself of the strength of my navy. We outnumbered them in ships and warriors. A cadre of priests travelled with us too – a deterrent to any piracy, or foul play.

"We are to leave our main force behind and meet them," My father's chief of staff, Mirax, reminded me needlessly. "Signal six and bring us out ahead," he called out. Mirax loved giving orders to my men.

"Their leviathan isn't far away, we'll be at a disadvantage with just six ships," My lieutenant responded.

"Our high priest is aboard, Farosh," I replied, "I assure you, there will be no disadvantage."

"Heartening to hear you so confident in my abilities," Mirax leaned closer. His breath made me uncomfortable.

I ignored him. He may be repulsive, but if he could save the lives of me and my men I could put up with it. And much more.

As we drew closer to my betrothed, my center of gravity shrank. I felt every wave slapping the ship, and felt my sea legs giving out beneath me. I sank in a meditative crouch onto the deck to save face.

Updates on our position still rang out around me by the sailors and warriors. Our sails were down now, while we approached at a steadier pace with our oars.

"They're turning starboard!"

"All hands," my lieutenant took command, "To your stations."

"Keep it steady," I ordered, "We turn into position at one hundred meters."

"Hard port in thirty seconds," Farosh gave them advance warning. His eyes zeroed in on the horizon, measuring distance and hostility in one sweep. The men on deck held their breath and I along with them.

"And three, two, one. Port!"

My ship groaned at the swift change in the direction, and I felt the resistance through the deck of the ship against the waves. Our escort ships turned one at a time, following our lead and dropping anchor in their berths.

Then all that movement aboard and all the resistance of the wind lulled. The slapping of the water on the hull became a gentle tap...tap...tap. The sun had almost set, and the sky was beginning to don night garments.