Chapter 22

Six months later

Katy and baby Michael (Zach's middle name) walked down the long hall of the Blades' training facility as Katy's mind flashed back to the day she first met Zach in this same spot. As they turned the corner and headed towards the rink, Katy could hear the familiar sounds of scraping skates and pucks hitting the boards. But this time there was a sound that was new to Katy: her father barking instructions to his players. She broke into a huge smile as she caught sight of number 61 flying down the ice with the puck on his stick. That sight would never get old and always sent a lightening bold through her entire body. Katy walked up to the glass and stood baby Michael on the small ledge pointing out his father and grandfather. As soon as Katy's father saw his daughter and grandson, he blew the whistle and told the players to take a break. He skated over to the glass and started making funny faces at his grandson as Zach skated up and patted his father-in-law on the shoulder while beaming at his wife and son.

Things had been awkward between Dan and Zach at first, but loving baby Michael quickly bonded the entire family and melted any icy feelings. Katy and Zach had a small wedding in her parents' backyard a few months ago, and it had been perfect. Now they were living in a house near the Blades' practice facility and Katy's parents. This summer, Katy and Zach were going to take a trip to Wharton State Forest to introduce baby Michael to his first deer and show him where his parents' unlikely love story began.