Twenty-Seven: Back to Reality

Start from the beginning

Only a beat passed before a knock at the door made them both jump. Oslac of course refused to move away from Beanni's side, so Claudia took it upon herself to answer the door.

"Oh, stars shine upon you, Your Majesty," Claudia recited the usual greeting, as she opened the door for the King. She gave him a curtsy before moving to the side to let him in.

"How is the girl?" the King asked within his authoritative tone.

"I gave her Càdallain, Ciùiros and a pinch of Ghea Mach to send her into a peaceful sleep. Once she wakes, I'll take a closer look into what she needs for long term recovery." Claudia explained. It sounded as though she rehearsed her response. "I believe that I will be able to mix her medicine to take home with her. She should be able to return to her family within a few days if not sooner."

"Very good." The King nodded, before glancing at his son, who sat taking in everything that was being said.

"Is there anything else we can do for her?" Oslac asked Claudia, who stopped to think, stroking her index finger across her chin as she did so.

"Well," she began. "Nothing that I can think of at the top of my head. Nothing here at the palace that is. As long as she returns to the home she always knew before all this happened, I can see her having a successful transition back into her everyday life."

Oslac and his father exchanged a look, there was no need for words, for they both understood what the other was thinking.

"Well, in that case, I believe there is a certain individual that I need to speak to," the King declared, then turned towards the open doorway.

"Stars shine upon you, Your Majesty," Claudia curtsied again as he left the room.

Beanni blinked her eyes open and let them adjust to the light that surrounded her

Beanni blinked her eyes open and let them adjust to the light that surrounded her. It was a warm light, a light that made her feel safe.

"Bay, you're awake!" A voice made her turn her head to the side. There sitting with his elbows leaning on the mattress she was lying on was Prince Oslac. She sat up so that she could have a better look at him, all the while ignoring his protective protests. She took in his sparkling hazel eyes, his brown curly hair and his kind smile. Yes, she knew him instantly, her best friend, the prince of Natanstrelle was there sitting by her side. Suddenly, a tidal wave of relief crashed over her making her shake with sobs. She hid her face as she howled out all the fear she was forced to suppress within Strelle Forest.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" Oslac asked. He took a seat on the bed and hugged his arm around her. "You're safe now, you're safe."

"The smoke..." she whispered through trembling lips. "It t-took me away f-from everything I ever knew. I was so afraid. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to recognise you. That it made me forget you."

"So you do recognise me?"

"Of course I do! You're Oz, my best friend!"

Oslac gave her the warmest smile and squeezed his arm tighter around her, pulling her closer to his side.