What do you mean?

The other day you missed our date because you were there and now you're bailing on me again today because you're there

I'm not bailing on you. We didn't have plans for today

They got a hot son or something?

Would you stop

I'm getting real tired of this

Tired of what? We didn't have plans

Whatever

I don't bother responding and stuff my phone into my pocket as I let out a sigh.

Bryce yells into his headset and I jump, causing Layla to laugh.

Just when I think things have settled down, Layla lets out a scream.

"Oh my gosh! What?" I ask.

"There's a bug!"

"Where?"

"The window." She points to the picture window and I see a brown stink bug crawling up the left side of it.

"Bryce," I say.

Nothing.

"Bryce!"

Still nothing.

Maggie wasn't kidding when she said the house could burn down around him and he wouldn't have a clue.

I roll my eyes as I get up and whack his arm.

"What the hell?" he groans as he pulls his headset off again.

"There's a stink bug on the window." I point to it. "Kill it for us."

"You kill it."

"I don't do stink bugs." I shake my head. "I'll grab you a napkin but you're killing him."

"What if it's a she?"

"Kill the bug." I roll my eyes.

"Get me a napkin."

I go into the kitchen and grab a napkin from the counter and bring it to Bryce. He kills the bug and Layla cheers as he does.

"Fuck you," he says to the balled up napkin with the bug contents in it before turning to me. "You're welcome."

"My hero." I bat my eyelashes and give him the world's fakest smile.

"Don't fall too hard. You might forget about that crappy boyfriend of yours."

I roll my eyes as the front door opens.

"Mommy!" Layla yells and runs over again.

"Hi, sweetie," Maggie says. "Did you have fun with Alex?"

"I scared her." She giggles.

"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry." Maggie laughs as she makes her way up the stairs. "I don't know how she's so outgoing with strangers, she's so shy with people she knows."

"You raised a weirdo." Bryce scoops Layla up sideways and throws her over his shoulder.

She laughs the whole way to the couch and I can't help but think about how lucky she is to have him as a big brother. He looks like a lot of fun and there's no doubt he'll kick the ass of any guy who hurts her ten years from now.

"Bryce, put her down!" Maggie laughs.

"What's the point of having a little sister if I can't throw her across the room and onto the couch?" He rolls his eyes as he drops her onto the couch.