Lover's Lake

The night began to fall and Dustin began to pick up his pace at the front of the group. Eddie and Jackie, still at the back of the group, began to run after him.

"Dustin, slow down!" She called.

Eddie, awkwardly jogging behind him, called out "You're gonna hit the water."

Soon, the body of water, glistening in the moonlight, painted dark from the night sky encroached on them. Dustin skidded to a halt, the dirt kicking up behind him as he nearly trips into the body of murky water. Eddie reaches out at the last second, reaching an arm around the boy's torso and catching him. At the same time, Jackie catches up and latches onto the back of Dustin's sweatshirt, giving him a small tug backward.

"Watch your step, big guy," Eddie remarked.

The rest of the group caught up to them, panting behind them as they stared out at the lake. "Oh shit," Steve grumbled.

Eddie nodded, realizing that he had just gone in circles. "I thought these woods were familiar."

"Lover's Lake," Robin whispered.

"This is confounding," Dustin wonders aloud, looking down at his compass and then back out at the lake.

"There's a gate in Lover's Lake?" Max asked.

Jackie shrugged, pulling her hair back with the blue band around her wrist. "Only one way to find out."

"Whenever the Demogorgon attacked," Nancy started. "It always left an opening. Maybe Vecna's the same way."

***

Eddie unveiled the washed-up rowboat he had used to row away from Reefer Rick's from underneath a tarp before he and Steve pushed it out onto the water. The two boys knelt against the lake's edge, holding the wooden boat steady so the group could climb in.

"Hold it still, man," Steve argued quietly as Eddie accidentally shook the boat.

Eddie shrugged. "Sorry, man."

First, Robin stepped up to the boat. Placing a hand on either boy's shoulder, she carefully stepped once and then again into the boat. It rocked beneath the sudden weight change, the water rippling beneath them, but ultimately, the rickety boat held up.

Then, Eddie climbed in hesitantly as Steve continued to hold onto the back of the boat. Once Eddie had gained his bearings again, he held his hand out as Nancy stepped forward. "Wheeler," He greeted, offering his hand so she would be more stable on the way in.

Nancy accepted his hand gratefully. "Thanks," She whispered before climbing inside, careful not to trip over her heeled boots.

Jackie approached the boat. Eddie held out his hand again. "Jacqueline," A small smile formed on his face.

"Thank you," She whispered. Reaching out, she accepted his hand gently. She placed one foot in the boat and as she started to step again, his other hand shifted to her back to guide her. In his touch, she felt herself nearly melt away. Then, she sat down with a shaky exhale.

Robin looked over at her, one eyebrow raised in suspicion. She silently mouthed a question concerning the lingering touch, but Jackie merely shrugged. What they were was their business and no one else's. For now, at least. It was kinda nice to keep it relatively quiet before things spiraled further out of control.

Before Eddie could sit in the boat, he noticed Dustin walking over to them. As he was about to step inside, Eddie pushed him back lightly. "Woah, you trying to sink us?" He asked, causing Dustin's jaw to drop in surprise. "This thing only handles like, four people, tops."