A Soulmate's Confession ~Part 2

Shuichi's POV 

Beep Beep  ...huh?  Beep Beep  Oh, it's my alarm clock. A new day at school is supposed to start, here we go... Hm? Wait a second. September 7th, it's my birthday which  means I got my tattoo. My eyes widened. I got my tattoo!!

It looks like someone who's cheerful. Judging by the quote and the person's pose, they seem optimistic...or is that supportiveness? It could be both for all I know.

That reminds me a lot of Kaede, she's all of those traits combined.  She's also really sweet, gorgeous, talented, amazing- Ah! I'm getting ahead of myself, I should go downstairs now!

I reached the ground floor and was immediately greeted by my best friend, Kaito. "Hey, Shuichi! Happy birthday bro!" he ruffles my hair. "You should've told him 'good morning' first, idiot. But yeah, happy birthday, Shuichi." Oh, it looks like Maki's awake as well. I took my seat at the dining table. "Soo, what's your soulmate like?!" the astronaut questioned. "Huh? Oh well they're...um" I showed them the tattoo...

Their reactions were completely unexpected!

Kaito laughed out loud and Maki snickered. Why are they laughing?! "Haha! Now this is proof that Kaede likes you back!" Kaede...

likes me back?

What is Kaito talking about?! There's no way she likes me. She deserves better...She deserves better than me- "If you're questioning your self worth again then snap out of it. And if you don't, do you wanna die?" ...Questioning my self worth? "Yeah! You need to stop thinkin' of yourself so horribly. And you especially need to stop thinking that Kaede doesn't deserve you!" Kaito supports.

"But she-"  "Listen, Shuichi. You know I had that same mentality with Kaito before, you also know exactly why I stopped thinking like that." That's true, Maki and Kaito have been in a happy relationship for 5 months now. "You should confess to her!" Kaito exclaimed. "Yeah, I should- wait. Confess? Confess?! H-Hold on! I don't think I should-"  "Why?" the assassin replied sternly. "Don't say it's because she wouldn't like you. It's stupidly obvious she does, you're the only one who hasn't noticed." Wait, what?! "Kaito didn't even say you have to do it today. Trust me, it'll probably be the best day of your life if you confess."  "Exactly, Maki roll!" But...

Should I really do it?

"Do you think she actually likes me?"  "Bro, I think she loves you! Have you seen the way she looks at you?" Maki glanced at us for a quick second then mumbled something under her breath, "I know she loves you."

...

...What?

"Hm? What was that, Maki roll?"  "Nothing, just ignore that." ... "Did you hear what she said, Shuichi?" He whispered. "Uh, no, sorry."

I lied

I heard that

Maybe it's because I'm sitting between them. 

Maybe I was meant to hear that and not Kaito.

"Oh well, we should get breakfast now! Gotta get energy for the day!" Right, it's morning. I have school. Great.

*

Dammit! Why do I have to take so long to get ready?! I have 10 minutes left! I was sprinting to class so I can arrive on time, it would be embarrassing if I'm late on my birthday. Oh thank God, my classroom is a few seconds away! I burst through the door to see not many students there. I guess everyone else is running late. 

It didn't take long for me to find my desk; Kaito wasn't there, surprisingly. On top of my desk was something dark blue with a white ribbon wrapped around it-...Don't tell me...is it actually?...

OH MY GOD, IT IS. "Mystic River" by Dennis Lehane How did someone manage to get their hands on this?! There's a note attached to it, huh..

"Happy birthday, Shuichi! I wanted to give you this during breakfast but you weren't there...Well, if you're reading this then obviously you have the book right now! I remember you mentioning how badly you wanted this book and I was able to get it. When I saw it, I immediately thought of you! I hope you enjoy it

~Kaede"

My jaw dropped and I was struggling to pick it back up. Kaede remembered?! I mentioned it one time and she remembered?! Our desks are right next to each other and Kaede was there, talking to Maki. I kept looking at the book then Kaede continuously. I noticed she was looking at me too. She had her beautiful bright smile plastered on her face and her cheeks were tinted red. I can't believe Kaede cared enough to buy this, she remembered me...

"Hey Maki, can you excuse me for a bit?"  "To talk to lover boy over there? Yeah, sure. Go ahead" Oh no, Kaede's approaching me. No. No. No- "Hey Shuichi!" WhatdoIdo. WhatdoIdo. "U-Uh, hey..."  "Do you like your present?" She looks at me innocently. "I love it! How did you remember?!"  "Well...I guess there are some things I can't forget!" she giggles, so cute... insert bell ringing "Aw man, I wanted to talk to you more...I'll see you around, Shuichi!" She walks back to her seat. "Oooh~ She remembered something you wanted, pretty suspicious don'tcha think?~" When was Kaito in his seat?! When did he even get here?!

*

Class was in session but I wasn't listening. I couldn't stop thinking about what Kaito and Maki said this morning...And my present...And the note..I kept gazing at Kaede, mainly admiring her features. I didn't think it was possible for me to fall this hard for someone but...I fell for Kaede...I'm in love with her. I stare at my wrist, though, it looks a little different. Rather than being jet black, it had the smallest tint of blue. Why is it changing colour?- Wait. That means...my soulmate is nearby!! How'd I not see this earlier?! Is Kaede actually my soulmate?! There's only one way to find out...

I'll have to confess

~Continuing in part 3...