eleven. half butterfly

Start from the beginning

With my heart racing, I pull the strings on the bag to open it and reach inside. I pull out a silver necklace with a butterfly with only one wing hanging from the chain. My eyes widen; it's so beautiful. Before I can thank Jeremiah or say anything, he takes out a necklace from beneath his shirt. It is nearly identical to mine a single-winged butterfly. The only thing different is that his butterfly is pale pink and mine is cerulean blue.

He leans forward and puts the necklaces together so that the wings are touching. He smiles and says, "We both have one half of the butterfly because we're only whole when we're together."

There's an intense look in his eye that I can't decipher as we sit staring at each other. Overwhelmed by the growing feelings in my stomach, I shove Jeremiah and let out an awkward laugh. "God, Jere. You're so cheesy."

He shoves me back and grins.

"Do you like it?"

"I love it, Jere."

✧ ✦ ✧

I SIGH AS I start walking down the stairs. My head is pounding, and all I want is some medicine before I go sleep for thirteen hours straight. I immediately pause when I hear two familiar voices coming from the bottom of the steps. Rounding the corner, I spot Jeremiah and Mr. Fisher talking.

"...got to talk varsity football for next year," I hear Mr. Fisher saying.

A disappointed look crosses Jeremiah's face. "I'm not that good, Dad. I'm not Conrad."

I frown at his words. I've always known that his father has always compared Jeremiah to Conrad, but seeing him so hurt by it throws me off. I'm so used to him being angry and hostile now that I've forgotten what it's like to see him vulnerable like I used to be able to.

"You're faster than he ever was."

I scoff quietly at the words as the two lean in for a hug. Honestly, I respect Mr. Fisher. I always have. It's just that he fucking pisses me off sometimes. I hate that he's so inconsiderate and insensitive toward Jeremiah's and Conrad's feelings. There's never a time when he doesn't compare them, and it makes me feel so bad because neither of them deserves that. They're both so great in their own ways, and it shouldn't matter that Jeremiah wasn't as strong as Conrad was before or as good at football.

The door shuts quietly once Mr. Fisher is gone, and Jeremiah stands staring at the door for a second before turning around. I don't have time to move out of his sight because his eyes suddenly lock on mine. There's a blank look on his face, so devoid of emotion that my heart stops. It's like he doesn't even see me, like I'm just a ghost standing on his steps.

I hesitate for maybe a second before I start making my way down the stairs. Before I can get even a few steps down, though, he walks away. I stop once again, wondering why I even try in the first place. He hates me. Nothing I do is going to ever change that because I broke his trust and his loyalty. If there is one thing I had the chance to ever change, it would be us.

I look down, my head aching even more. I let out a long sigh and contemplate going after Jeremiah. After about a minute of just standing there, I head down the stairs and quickly find the pain medication I accidentally left in the kitchen earlier. After I take it, I see Jeremiah's figure outside. His muscles are tense, even in the dark I can tell.

I take a deep breath before walking over to the door. Opening it and slipping outside, I see Jeremiah staring at something. Taking a closer look, I see Belly and Conrad standing close together. I suck in a breath and try to gauge Jeremiah's reaction. Again, he looks indifferent. Like the world could just collapse right at that moment and he wouldn't even bat an eye. I hate seeing him like this.

When Belly and Conrad start leaning in, Jeremiah lets a firework go off. I don't know whether to yell at him or comfort him. I get what it feels like to love someone who doesn't love you back, but that doesn't mean you can ruin their chances with someone else.

He's stiff as he stares at them, and I'm annoyed at myself for my instinct of wanting to console him. Without thinking, I walk forward and slip my hand into his big, warm one. He tenses and turns his head.

We stare at each other silently. His expression doesn't give anything away, but I see his throat bob up and down as he swallows. I'm surprised that he doesn't pull away from me right away. He lets me hold his hand in silence, the only sound heard is the wind brushing against our skin.

It has been a while since I've held his hand. Since I've been able to do this with him. I don't really realize the extent of how much I missed him until this very moment when all I see is him and all I want to do is wrap my arms around his neck, shove my face into his chest, and never let go.

"I kept the necklace because I will always care about you," I whisper without even meaning to. The words slip out faster than I think them, and I immediately regret saying them when I see Jeremiah's expression twist into one of frustration.

He steps back from me, my hand falling at my side. He doesn't look at me again as he walks back inside. I close my eyes for a second and run a hand through my hair. Fuck.

𝗮𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗿'𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗲 !

if you haven't watched twenty five twenty one on netflix, you HAVE TO

LITERALLY THE ABSOLUTE BEST SHOW EVER 111111/10

it's a k drama btw