Winter clenches her jaw. Ryujin's eyes are a little too excited for the first day of school, and even the sight of her is annoying. Winter's been dreading this moment for a week, knowing that at some point she was going to end up running into Ryujin and Karina. She'd just hoped it wouldn't be the first day back.

Yeji clearly doesn't share the same concerns, though, considering the way she's smiling and waving brightly at their old friends.

On the other side of the table, Ningning and Giselle have broken apart and are staring at Ryujin like she's a crazy person.

But Winter's eyes aren't on Ryujin anymore-they're on Karina, who's sitting herself down next to Ningning and Giselle. Karina's looking back at her with a guarded expression, and Winter can see some of her own discomfort reflected on her face.

It's the first time they've been in such close proximity in over a year. Hell, it's the first time they've been in the same room since they started going to different schools.

Winter has to force herself to look back down at her food to catch her breath, but she can't keep herself from glancing back up at Karina again. Her heart skips a beat when she realizes that Karina is looking at her, too, a small, shy smile spreading across her lips.

"Hey," Karina says, and Winter realizes with a start that her voice is different than how she remembers it. It sounds off to her ears, somewhat lower and rougher. More mature.

Winter nods once, forcing herself to stay calm and act like nothing's wrong. "Hello Karina."

"Winter!" Ryujin says, leaning forward to look at Winter past Yeji. She's clearly legitimately excited to be here, and Winter's gut twists at the realization that, in Ryujin's eyes, probably the only reason they ignored each other's existence for a whole year is the fact that they went to different schools. She gives Ryujin a strained smile, not even trying to come across as civil.

Ryujin, however, doesn't seem to notice anything is wrong. In fact, her smile widens at Winter's acknowledgement. "I haven't seen you in forever. Damn girlie, you're looking fine."

The sight of Ryujin's grin has Winter balling her fists before she even realizes it, anger welling up in her. She really wants to punch the grin off of Ryujin's face, but Yeji is faster, finally noticing the tension in the air.

She puts her hand over Winter's and gestures at the newcomers to get everyone's attention. "Ningning and Giselle, these are Ryujin and Karina. They're-uh-our friends from middle school. Ryujin, Karina, this is Ningning and that's Giselle. They're on the softball team with Winter."

Karina's shoulders tense a little when Yeji introduces them all, and Winter hates the way she's still hyper aware of everything Karina does. She hates the way she still physically feels Karina's every move.

"You play softball?" Karina asks.

Winter nods, but before she can say anything, Giselle frowns. "Hold up. You say you're all friends, but she doesn't know Win's on the team? Win, like, literally never shuts up about it."

Winter lets out a sharp breath. "Just never came up, I guess."

Karina shoots her a sort of thankful glance, and Winter's heart starts hammering against her chest. She wasn't prepared for a run-in with Karina today. Her sudden presence is overwhelming, and Winter wasn't ready to have this-her group of friends, her school, her safe haven-be infiltrated by Karina and Ryujin.

She can't do this.

With more force than necessary, she shoves her sandwich back into its wrapper and stumbles as she gets out of her seat. "I-uh-I gotta use the bathroom. Excuse me."