Chapter 2 : Yeji

Winter almost expects something grand to happen the first time she sets foot in the cafeteria as a sophomore. And sure, there are a few differences; Yujin is gone, and there are a bunch of new, curious faces that turn to look at her as she passes.

But nothing different really happens. Ningning and Giselle are still at the same table, a little closer to each other than most people, and Yeji is still staring at the sign that says today there will be mac 'n cheese for lunch with the same old sad look of longing.

Winter plops down next to her friends, reaching into her bag to grab her sandwiches. As an athlete she's supposed to eat healthy or whatever, so she prefers to bring her own food from home rather than buying it at school. "Hey."

"Kim," Giselle smirks, her arm loosely wrapped around Ningning's waist. "Tell Yeji her ass looks great in that cheerleader outfit."

Winter glances down at Yeji's butt. "Your ass looks great in that cheerleader outfit. But why are you wearing it right now?"

Yeji rolls her eyes. "Early morning practice. Couldn't be bothered to take it off. Probably proves Coach's point that we're out of shape."

"Objection," Ningning says. "You practiced all summer with us. I can still feel the bruise on my ass from that one time you were convinced you could lift me like one of your cheer buddies."

Winter smiles, watching as her friends bicker. She didn't get the chance to miss them over the summer-they hung out pretty much every day except for when they each went on separate vacations with their families. She does, however, miss Yujin a little.

After that one practice Yujin was at to take pictures, they kept seeing each other in hallways and during lunch, and it somehow made Winter feel really cool that a senior hung out with her. But Yujin graduated a few months ago and started attending college for something music related, which Winter thinks is even cooler.

"Hey, Win, where's your mind at?" Ningning asks, nudging Winter's foot under the table. Somehow she always seems to notice when something's off. It's both comforting and confronting at the same time.

Winter blinks. "Just missing Yujin. It's so weird that she's off to live a really cool life in college now."

Ningning glances at Giselle, who's saying something about getting a new tattoo to Yeji, and she cracks a smile. "I mean, she's still in the same state, so it's not that far away. And she said she'd be coming back every other weekend for laundry and stuff, so we can see her then."

Giselle looks up, probably catching on to the way Ningning is looking at her. She reaches out to squeeze Ningning's hand, tightening her grip on Ningning's waist. "Don't think about that stuff yet. I don't even know what I'm gonna do after graduation, and until I figure it out I'm staying right here with you."

Ningning leans into Giselle's touch and Winter looks away. She hates seeing her friends sad, even if she knows Ningning and Giselle always talk about everything and that if anyone will be able to work through one of them graduating high school this year, it'll be them.

"It's okay," Ningning says in a soft voice. "At least I can say my girlfriend is a senior now and have people think I'm really cool."

Giselle laughs and she looks like she's about to kiss Ningning when they're interrupted by a loud voice.

"Come on, Rina. I see Winter and Yeji over there."

Winter's head snaps up just in time to see two all too familiar faces heading their way. Next to her, Yeji's eyes light up, and she scoots a little closer to Winter to make room at their table.

"Yeji," Ryujin says, wrapping her arms around Yeji's shoulders. "Look, we're finally all going to the same school again! Middle school was really boring without you and Winter."