Chapter Two

Rhianwen stroked the silver Sash around her tiny waist. It was touch and go for a month or so, but I passed everything, thank Gaia.

"Come on Rhia! We're going to be late to meet the boys if you keep preening like that." Dextra stuck her head around the door and giggled. "Silver suits you. Let's go already!"

Rhia rolled her eyes and smiled. "I'm coming. Wouldn't do to let Quinn get away from you."

They took the Grav tube to the ground floor. Dextra pretty much ignored the technology, but since she'd started her Nanite Design course, Rhia found she recognised their tiny touch everywhere, even in the Grav tubes. "You do realise we're being held by Nanites don't you?"

Rhia bit her lip to hide a grin, as a wave of panic crossed Dextra's face.

"You say that every time we use the Grav tubes instead of the stairs. Yes, I know Nanites hold us in the tube; I don't want to be reminded about it constantly, especially while I'm using the damn things!" Dextra snapped back.

They met Quinn and Ciaran in the lobby. The two boys were talking about the latest Grav Ball match outcome; with a sigh, Rhia stopped herself from joining in. Quinn made it quite clear last time that he doesn't think women should like Sports. What is it Dextra calls him? Oh yes, a Throwback. Well if she had any sense, she'd throw him back and get a better boyfriend.

"I'm telling you, Rhia, I won't use the Grav Tubes with you again if you keep on about Nanites." Dextra stalked away from Rhianwen and grabbed Quinn's arm. "Let's go or the exhibition will be too crowded to see anything properly."

The Oak Hall had been cleared of the usual desks and chairs. Its wooden floor glowed golden in the late summer sunlight and the air smelt of beeswax and lemon from the floor polish. Arranged around the sides of the high beamed hall, a number of glass cases held strange objects. In the centre of the room stood a dais with another glass case holding a long grey container. Chairs had been arrayed facing the dais.

Quinn and Ciaran handed over their tickets to the Svaralfar on the door. The slips were punched and handed back with a soft smile. "Welcome to the Time Travel exhibition, Silver Ones. Feel free to browse the exhibit or purchase an item at the shop. There are programmes available for a small fee of a copper credit."

Quinn and Dextra ignored the attendant and walked away. Ciaran handed over one of the small copper coins the students used. "I'd like a programme please. Will Dr. Jertinal be speaking later?"

"Yes, of course. Dr. Jertinal will be discussing The Early Twenty-First Century: a Snap Shot of the Past." The Svaralfar smiled again.

"Do you know Dr Jertinal, Ciaran?" Rhia asked as they moved to the first case in the exhibit.

"One of my lecturers in the third year is called Dr. Jertinal. I can't wait; I've been told he's inspirational and only takes on one student per year to train up to doctorate level." Ciaran sighed.

Rhia laughed. "You don't think you're in the running? You got a ninety-eight percent average last year and you're top of your course. What more could any serious lecturer want?"

Ciaran turned the same colour as the cloth in the case they were looking into. "So, what's this artefact then?"

Rhia let him change the subject. "It says it's an early twenty first century piece of clothing. The logo is assumed to be the logo of the ancient game of Football."

"It's very bright. I wonder what they made it from." Ciaran frowned.

Rhia shrugged, "My mother would know, but she rejected the chance to study ancient fabrics." They moved on.